Subscribe Bookmark
john_sall

Staff

May 27, 2014

Flow and Frontier in JMP 12

Long lists of improvements go into each new version of our software, and usually there are one or two themes that characterize the release. JMP 12 launches this week, and the themes of this new version are flow and frontier.

By flow, I mean workflow, the way we can smooth out the steps you need to take to get work done. I also would refer to the word flow as a state of consciousness, described by Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi as an uninterrupted, engaged state with deep enjoyment and creativity.

By frontier, I mean that we become able to push the edges of what's possible and also push into new feature space.

Workflow improvements include:

• Making database access involving multiple tables easy and fast, with Query Builder.
  • Making cleaning up data much easier, with a Recode feature that automatically finds categories that should be combined, and an outlier facility that makes it easy to locate and deal with outliers.
  • Making it easy to find what effects are important in fitted models and to easily remove the effects that are not important.
  • Making it easy to publish results as PowerPoint or HTML.
  • These workflow improvements can save you a lot of steps and make your path much easier, so that you spend most of your time on analyzing the data, not in overcoming the obstacles.

Enhancements that push the frontier include:

• Enabling data to have any expression type, such as images.
    • Allowing multivariate platforms to handle very wide cases, where there are many thousands of variables. This is happening much more in modern situations, such as in gene expression data and multisensor data.
    • Implementing Covering Arrays to construct test designs that cover high-degree interactions of features.
    • Generalizing model fitting with more distributions, more selection and shrinkage features that fit faster.
    • Enabling fast fitting of complex mixed models when they have a huge number of levels in random effects.
    • Pushing current features to cover more situations: extending process capability to understand short-run behavior, extending correspondence analysis with multiple correspondence analysis, extending PLS with PLS-DA for categorical responses, extending space-filling designs with categorical factors and extending definitive screening designs with blocking factors.
    • Pushing these frontiers can have a major impact in uncovering discoveries.

With these improvements, we cover more ground, and provide smoother paths to the ground we already prepared. It all adds up to a more productive experience in a wider variety of application areas.

When I think of how smooth the JMP workflow is, I remember a remarkable video Julian Parris made, called “Speed Stats.” Julian is from our academic team, and he wanted to show to students and faculty just how easy it could be to answer a long set of questions, live, in just 10 minutes with tools that put you in the groove. It is a remarkable illustration of flow. You may not quite achieve Julian’s smoothness, but once you get enough experience, you can come close.

[iframe title="YouTube video player" width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/2kVm8rvatHs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen]

P.S. You can see a demo of many of these enhancements in a recording of my speech from Discovery Summit Europe.

Article Tags