Subscribe Bookmark
Jeff_Perkinson

Community Manager

Jun 23, 2011

A Hot Time at Pittcon

Until last week, it had been a while since I've been to a trade show.

My colleague and favorite chemist, Lou Valente, asked me to join him in the JMP booth at Pittcon, the Pittsburgh Conference.

The Pittsburgh Conference is a huge event with 20,000+ chemists and other laboratory scientists sharing ideas and best practices. The expo floor is filled with lab instrument and equipment manufacturers and others, like us -- software developers. This year, the Pittsburgh Conference was in Orlando, FL. (I guess would-be scientists don't have to take much geography.)

Our booth was directly across the aisle from Control Company. They design, manufacture and sell traceable laboratory equipment and scientific instruments -- things like thermometers, anemometers, calipers and even clocks.

I didn't know what "traceable" meant in this context, but they provide a certificate that can trace the calibration of instruments back to National Institute of Standards and Technology. Pretty cool.

Here's a picture of one part of their booth. Notice the lights across the top. They had a 10x30 foot booth with about 40 of the halogen lights you see at the top of the booth panels. That meant that their booth, and because of the proximity, our booth, was pretty warm.

Check out this close-up of some thermometers they had on display. Those temperatures are in Celsius. To save you the trouble of converting it for yourself, I'll point out that the 37 degrees Celsius shown on the top row of thermometers is 98.6 degrees Fahrenheit. And, while that's a normal temperature inside the human body, it's a little warm for a trade show floor. On the first day of the show, we saw that top row of thermometers reach 40 degrees (104 Fahrenheit!).

So, on the second day of the show, we started logging the temperatures of the top row and bottom row of the thermometers shown in the picture above. Here are those three days in Graph Builder in JMP.

You can see that on Days 3 and 4 of the show, we started collecting data before they turned the lights on. They heat up pretty quick. On Day 4, the show ended at 2:00 p.m., so we didn't get any data after that.

I'm not sure why the curve for Day 2 of the show is different from the other two days. They probably had the air conditioning on that day and not the other two since it was cooler outside those days. Regardless, we had fun using this to show how quickly we could take the data and create an interesting look at it.

1 Comment
Community Member

Louis Valente wrote:

Degrees F = 9/5 X Degrees C + 32

Article Tags