cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Submit your abstract to the call for content for Discovery Summit Americas by April 23. Selected abstracts will be presented at Discovery Summit, Oct. 21- 24.
Discovery is online this week, April 16 and 18. Join us for these exciting interactive sessions.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
10 tips for getting the most out of Discovery Summit

Look for fun happenings in the Discovery Expo, like this String Theory Wall at the conference in Copenhagen.Look for fun happenings in the Discovery Expo, like this String Theory Wall at the conference in Copenhagen.This April, after 18 years in various roles at SAS, I joined JMP. My first assignment? Attend the Discovery Summit in Copenhagen. It didn't disappoint. In fact, it was one of the best professional conferences I’d attended in a long time.

With Discovery Summit Tucson 2019 just a few weeks away, you don't have to take my word for it; you can see how incredible the event is for yourself. It really is the place to learn more about the latest trends and best practices in data analytics.

To help you on your way, here are my top 10 tips for getting the most out of the conference.

Tip #1: Arrive early and get a jump on your learning

You don’t have to wait until the first presentation to start learning. On Monday, Oct. 14, we’ll offer attendees two unique pre-conference training opportunities. Classes combine lectures, demos and hands-on computer workshops, giving you an in-depth look at JMP software. On Tuesday, JMP developers lead more than a dozen 90-minute JMP tutorials, and we’ll offer two opportunities to take a JMP certification exam. How cool would it be to leave Tucson with a globally recognized JMP certification?

Tip #2: Spend as much time as you can in the JMP Discovery Expo

The hub of Discovery Summit events is the Discovery Expo floor. Here attendees can engage in conversation with fellow users and examine user-created posters. You can also talk with JMP developers, ask them questions about JMP features or functionality, and offer suggestions and requests for future software enhancements. In fact, if you spend even a little time on the Expo floor, you’re likely to meet JMP founder John Sall, who is ever-present at Discovery Summit conferences.

Tip #3: Party like it’s 1989

Pack your noisemakers and party shoes, and help us celebrate! Though it might surprise you – because we look so young – JMP turns 30 years old this fall. We’ll have a lot of fun trivia contests, giveaways and other cool surprises to celebrate 30 years of JMP. We’ve even planned an incredible Birthday Fiesta for Tuesday, Oct. 15 from 6-9 pm.

Tip #4: Go to sessions and soak up the world-class content

While you won’t find a better event for networking with JMP peers, content is king at Discovery Summit. Each Discovery Summit conference features numerous breakout sessions, poster presentations and thought-provoking plenary talks. Informal learning opportunities abound as well, with time built into the agenda to interact with JMP experts and peers and build your professional network.

DSC_0845.jpgTip #5: Learn about new applications of JMP … and get inspired

What impact will you make with all you learn at Discovery Summit?What impact will you make with all you learn at Discovery Summit?You’re going to learn a lot of great tips and best practices relevant to your field, but I’d encourage you to step out of your comfort zone as well. Learn more about some of the amazing things JMP users are doing with their data. From helping evaluate medical treatment options and the safety of certain drugs, to examining salary inequality, to helping identify and address threats to wildlife and protecting endangered species, I was blown away by all the ways JMP is improving the world. Let these examples inspire you. Maybe even ask the question: “How can I use my data superpowers for good?”

Tip #6: Do talk to strangers (really an extension of tip #5)

JMP users are fanatical about their software and a diverse bunch of analytical experts committed to learning. Attendees from past Discovery Summits have come from 41 different countries, countless industries and virtually every role imaginable. Take advantage of the tremendous wealth of knowledge in the crowd.

Tip #7: Bring “stretchy” pants

Yes, there are amazing talks to attend, and learning and networking opportunities abound, but I wouldn’t be highlighting the best of the best if I didn’t at least mention the food. All conference meals are included in the conference fee, including some awesome evening events and networking receptions. It’s a little thing, but the food is top-notch. Bon appetit! 

Tip #8: Discover the many ways to save

Conference fees are very reasonable, but if you’re looking for a discount, we offer a number of great ones. For starters, full-time students can attend the conference at less than 50% of regular fees and get a 95% (yes, 95%) discount on pre-conference training. If you’re a JMP User Community member, you can enjoy a 25% discount, or round up three colleagues to come with you, and you’ll each get a 33% discount. To learn more, visit our registration information page.

Tip #9: Make a plan

With a ton of amazing talks, great networking events, and conference learning opportunities, it could be a little overwhelming. It sounds simple, but before you leave for Tucson, consider creating a schedule of activities you’d like to participate in. The full agenda is available now, and we’ll keep adding details along the way.

Tip #10: Register now; end your FOMO

Benjamin Franklin famously said, “You may delay, but time will not.” Discovery Summit often reaches capacity, especially in recent years, which means you could get turned away if you procrastinate. Discovery Summit Tucson 2019 promises to be the best conference yet. Don’t run the risk of missing out; register today!

Hope to see you in Tucson!

Last Modified: Aug 28, 2019 2:01 PM
Comments
Diana_Levey
Staff

Love seeing Discovery Summit from "fresh" eyes -- through the eyes of someone experiencing one for the first time. Reminds me that this series of conferences is unparalelled in quality...quality of content, of conversations, of comfort. Thank you for sharing your perspective, Larry.