Subscribe Bookmark RSS Feed
danielvalente

Jul 26, 2013

10 things to tell your friends about JMP 13

JMP 13 is coming this week, and I am quite excited about this release. I’ve been using JMP 13 during the entire development cycle (about 18 months now), and I am impressed how this version has really changed the way I use JMP. For me, after using JMP 13, there is no going back. There are just too many things I would miss.

JMP 13 reports on a monitor

So when you get your copy of JMP 13, try out some of these new features and enhancements, and let me know what your favorites are.

•  Play Button in Data Table. We’ve reduced the number of clicks required to re-run an analysis script to a one. This also makes running scripts a bit less scary for novice JMP users. No longer do you need to click the red triangle in a data table script and then be faced with options such as Run Script, Edit or Delete (although these still are available with a right-click). Simply click the big green play button and your script runs. As a bonus, when you save scripts to the data table, they are named with a bit more detail than in previous versions of JMP. If you’ve ever had a data table with script names such as Distribution 1 – Distribution 24, you’ll appreciate this improvement as well.
  • JMP Query Builder. If you’ve experienced the challenge of joining more than two tables using Tables > Join, I have your new favorite feature in JMP 13. The Query Builder for JMP tables is the latest addition to the Tables menu and the Query Builder family. It brings all of the features from the Query Builders for databases and SAS tables, but to JMP tables. You can join up to 64 JMP tables, set up prompting filters, make summaries, groups and sorting options and run post-query scripts. It’s also a really useful tool for prototyping SQL, can be a bridge between disparate data sources and is much easier than specifying all the detail in the Join command largely due to the fact that you get an informative preview of the results before running the command. Just try it!
  • Virtual Join. While the Query Builder is quite useful for joining tables, there is another feature in JMP 13 that lets you bring all the power of a join without having to take up the memory footprint – the Virtual Join. Basically, you set up a Link ID (a unique primary key of sorts) in a dimension table, and then in a Fact table set up a Link Reference to that table with the Link ID (this is way easier in practice than it seems here. Your Fact table with the Link Reference gets access to all the columns in the dimensions table(s) without the need for making the physical join, which takes up valuable memory. This opens up JMP to looking at much larger data problems. There are other important advantages to using a Virtual Join as well – you can update data tables asynchronously, for example. And when you have a join with measures taken at different time scales (say a sensor measurement every five minutes and a summary value of a different sensor taken daily), you can save a lot of redundant rows by using the Virtual Join – 287 a day in each column in this example.
  • Dashboard Builder. Dashboards provide quick access to key performance information that scientists and engineers need to make effective decisions or to communicate findings with others. In JMP 13, they are very easy to build with the new Dashboard Builder. With this you can go from data to dashboard in minutes with no coding required. And we’ve limited the choices to just a few so that even basic JMP users can build dashboards of their results without feeling overwhelmed. Just pick from a template, drag and drop reports to the canvas, pick a logo, give your dashboard a title, and you are ready to go. The templates also give you single-click access to graph “selection” filters, which lets you use graphs as filters as opposed to a traditional list-based Data Filter.
  • Interactive HTML with Graph Builder. JMP has turned into a really good interactive HTML report generator since the feature (File -> Save As -> Interactive HTML with data) was first released in JMP 11. And those generated reports are a great way to share results with those who don’t have JMP. JMP 13 adds the Graph Builder “done” state (you are pressing done before saving your Graph Builder graphs to reports and presentations, right?). You’ll get interactive versions of the most popular elements of Graph Builder. And you’ll also be able to use this feature with your dashboards, saving interactive versions of your arranged graphs to share with others on the web.
  • Create Web Report. This new option in the View menu of JMP lets you pick any number of JMP graphs, reports and dashboards have it automatically generate a summary index page, which will link to individual interactive reports. This is useful for putting context around your analysis – the index includes a notes section, a thumbnail image and a time stamp. The collection of documents can be placed on your webpage to share with others. Try this feature out – the combination of the Dashboard Builder, interactive HTML versions of Graph Builder graphs and this web report feature are a trifecta of sharing goodness!
  • Formula Depot. This is about the best example of “I can’t go back” that I can think of in JMP 13. The Formula Depot in JMP Pro is one of those game-changers. The depot collects all the JMP Pro models you build (simply Save Columns -> Publish Prediction Formula from modeling platforms) without burdening your data table with extra formula columns. This amounts to major data table size savings for sure. And the depot lets you easily investigate the formula JSL scripts and compare models using the Profiler or Model Comparison platform, and it drastically simplifies the creation of score code to a single click. When you want to turn your JMP Pro model into code that other systems can use, you have options to automatically generate SAS, C, JavaScript, SQL and Python. No need to manually convert JSL formulas to code in these languages. It’s done automatically by JMP.
  • Text Data. Prior to JMP 13, there was very little you could do with free text data in customer surveys, engineering reports, comment fields and audit reports. This all changes with the Text Explorer. This interactive platform allows you to analyze, visualize and model a major new type of data. The Text Explorer helps you with feature creation, visualization and analysis. And the useful thing is that the Text Explorer turns unstructured text data into a set of columns that can be used in any of your other favorite JMP Pro modeling platforms to give you even more insight into the problems you are trying to solve. (Note: Many of the exploration and visualization features of the Text Explorer are in JMP, and JMP Pro adds the ability to use text in your predictive models, as well as a diverse set of analysis options.)
  • Fit Model Fit and Finish. Fit Model: Effect Screening is the bread and butter of the statistical modeling features in JMP. For JMP 13, there are a number of improvements that make it easier to find significant effects, apply transforms and look at outliers. Overall, it simplifies the experience so you can stay in the analysis flow with fewer distractions. Plus, the styling of the graphs has really been improved – check it out, and let us know what you think. Should we prioritize similar polishing on other standard platforms in JMP in the future.
  • Formula Editor. There is a new Formula Editor in JMP 13. Formulas are very popular in JMP, and in JMP 13, we’ve made it easier to create and manage them. You’ll notice a huge improvement to the layout, and you’ll find that looking at large formulas is much more manageable.

These are my favorite things about JMP 13. Now it’s your turn to find out what your favorite features or improvements will be. Enjoy JMP 13!

P.S. One more: Right-click on an x-axis of Graph Builder, and then Order By > Ascending or Descending. It’s very cool. I could go on, but “10 things to tell your friends about JMP 13” is much catchier than “136 things I love about JMP”!