cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
TripAdvisor: Hotel Guest Reviews
David_Burnham
Super User (Alumni)

February 2018 update:

1. The addin nolonger assumes a .co.uk domain for google searches and the Tripadvisor website.  This should atleast ensure compatibility across .com and .co.uk but further testing will be done in March to evaluate behaviour in other geographic locations

2. The addin has been updated to be compatibile with the latest changes of the Tripadvisor website.

This add-in uses pattern matching to "web scrape" TripAdvisor hotel reviews. Guest comments can be reviewed in a JMP report window or saved to a table (e..g. for further exploration using Text Explorer).

screen1.PNG

By default 10 reviews are retrieved. The guest review hotspot (red triangle) gives you the option to increase this option up to 500.

Two word clouds are produced - one for the review titles and the other for the body content of the reviews.

Summary ratings are also retrieved together withe the map URL:

screen2.PNG

Comments

I was in a hurry when I booked the last hotel I stayed in and only read the first couple of reviews on trip advisor. I read the rest of the reviews after I had paid. Had I used this I would have chosen a different hotel!

is it possible to choose all language reviews, becuase it seems only english reviews come down? Many thanks

@David_Burnham wrote:

This add-in uses pattern matching to "web scrape" TripAdvisor hotel reviews. Guest comments can be reviewed in a JMP report window or saved to a table (e..g. for further exploration using Text Explorer).

screen1.PNG

By default 10 reviews are retrieved. The guest review hotspot (red triangle) gives you the option to increase this option up to 500.

Two word clouds are produced - one for the review titles and the other for the body content of the reviews.

Summary ratings are also retrieved together withe the map URL:

screen2.PNG

It would be great to have one for car restaurant, airline, and maybe major travel agencies :) Cool stuff.

tajrida

I am getting the following JMP error: Name Unresolved: lstTitles in access or evaluation of 'lstTitles' , lstTitles/*###*/

Please advice..

tajrida

Sorry about the error message.  I believe it is due to a change in the structure of the TripAdvisor website.

I'll be posting an update to the addin to resolve the issue.

Regards,

David