cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Semiconductor Toolkit

(18Aug2019) - A note from the author

Hi, All!  It's time to start thinking about a new version of the STK... I've got some things that I'd like to do, but I also want to hear from those using the tool.  If there's something you don't see or think could be improved - drop me a private message.  I do plan to look through the comments section as a sanity check, but I may miss something. So, if it's important, do send me a private message.  

THE SEMICONDUCTOR TOOLKIT (VERSION 2)

The Semiconductor Toolkit is an attempt to answer the need from the semiconductor industry for specialized visualizations and reframing of existing JMP capabilities.  On its initial release, the toolkit contained tools for generating patterned and unpatterned wafer maps, annotating existing graphics with wafer geometry, and a semiconductor specific frontend to the Hierarchical Clustering with spatial measures option.  It has now been expanded to include analytical methods for exploring die defect data, making comparisons between wafers, and a collection of tools and utilities contributed by the user community. The toolkit is intended to be a collaborative and living effort by interested parties.  Constructive criticism, bug reports, and capability suggestions are welcome and encouraged. 

wafer map.jpg

SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS
The add-in is for version 12 and newer of JMP and JMP Pro.  The add-in will check which version of JMP it is being added to and show only the methods available on that installation.

UPDATES

• (2016-08-22) Version 1 released.
  • (2016-11-03) Corrected bugs found by @ragnarl.
  • (2016-10-14)  Added a note about the next release to correspond with the launch of the new community site
  • (2016-09-26)  Added screenshots and descriptions for each tool.
  • (2017-11-01)  Version 2 released.  WELL, THAT TOOK LONGER THAN EXPECTED... It represents a complete overhaul of the Add-in.  A number of new tools were added, including tools for handling wafer maps for patterned wafers and methods for comparing wafer maps with dissimilar sampling patterns.  Under the hood, the application was completely rewritten in the JMP Application Builder.  I also standardized many of the methods in the original Add-in to ensure consistent performance across the platforms.  A proper help manual is also included and will be expanded as time allows.
  • (2018-02-15)  Fixed a couple of bugs in the initial release. 
  • (2018-02-23)  Bug Fix. 
  • (2019-09-24)  Fixed a couple of bugs (one related to using JMP with non-English Languages and one issue in preparation for JMP 15 release).
  • (2020-01-12)  Fixed the "yval" bug in the quick patterned map feature.

THE TOOLS

Annotation Tool adds markers for the wafer and exclusion edges to an existing graph or series of graphs in the same window.  If the die geometry is known, markers for the die layout can also be added.

Mapping Tool Set > Patterned Wafer Map uses die indices and a response variable to generate a patterned wafer map.  The platform also provides summary statistic capabilities for the wafer map.

Mapping Tool Set > Bare Wafer Map uses coordinate information and a response variable to create a bare wafer map.  The tool provides information about the quality of the fit for the smoothing algorithm used.  The tool currently supports Neural Network models - one type in JMP and two types in JMP Pro.  

Mapping Tool Set > Use Geometry creates Shape Files for JMP to use in the Graph Builder Platform.  Due to the differences in IT policy, the files are generated on the user's Desktop and it is left to the user to move these files to the correct location in the file system.  These locations can be found on page 308 in the JMP 13 book "Essential Graphing."  This book is included in the JMP install and can be found under Help > Books > Essential Graphing in JMP. 

Mapping Tool Set > Use Stepper Map creates Shape Files for JMP to use in the Graph Builder Platform as with the Wafer Map Generator.  This tool uses a table of coordinates to generate the map.  As with the Geometry Tool, see the JMP documentation for how to use the generated files with Graph Builder

Mapping Tool Set > Use Die Index uses a table of die indices to generating approximate wafer map shapefiles.  As with the Geometry Tool, see the JMP documentation for how to use the generated files with Graph Builder.

Analysis Tool Set > Cluster Defects is a front end for the Hierarchical Clustering Platform with the spatial measures option used.  This front end recasts the general terms used in the Hierarchical Clustering Platform into terms that are more familiar to the semiconductor industry.

Analysis Tool Set > Explore Patterned Data generates a report that supports the exploration of binning and test data.  It provides the same summary statistics as the Patterned Wafer Map tool with additional drill-down capabilities.  

Analysis Tool Set > Compare Wafer Maps compares two wafer maps with dissimilar sampling patterns, i.e., different products on the same tool or process.

Utilities Tool Box > Attach Table Limits is a port of the tool by @txnelson.  Detailed documentation for its use can be found here.  

Comments
HK_JUNG

Hi, @MikeD_Anderson , @JinyoungLee , @Yngeinstn 

Thank you for your help.

@MikeD_Anderson 

I've solved the problems and could make the wafer map I want.

Now I know the STK is just Mike's personal project, but I have another question about STK.

Could you please help me one more time ?

1. How can I make the Legend or interconnect the color of legend (and range) with JMP Graph, such as Figure 2.
  2. Can I delete the value in the die of wafer map?
  3. Can I zoom or fit the size of wafer map?
  4. How many dies can be handled in the current version?

Thanks again,

HK Jung

Hi, @HK_JUNG!

I'm a little unclear as to the "Figure 2" you mention.  Can you clarify?

Thanks!

Yngeinstn

@MikeD_Anderson 

Do you have any recommendations when it comes to something like this? I know you said this didn't didn't have the capability for pizza/jigsaw wafer and gave me some suggestions but i am really struggling here.. This is seriously the bane of my existence. At this point i think i am truly out of luck.. 

Thanks in advance

Pizza_Jigsaw Wafer Map.JPGPizza_Jigsaw Wafer Map_2.JPG

@Yngeinstn,

The problem here is the layout. The only way that I could think of to map this is to first generate a shapefile or coordinates for the field layout than transpose that across the shot map. It’s not something the STK is currently set up to do. If you had the coordinates of the corners for each of the sub-chips you could write some JSL to create the translations. That’s about the best solution that I can think of at the moment.

Sorry I can’t be more help on this one,

M
Yngeinstn

No worries.... If i can't figure this out then the designers will have to live with what i can actually do..

Thanks

Ally

pic.PNG

I am trying to use semiconductor toolkit, I opened a table, and when I click the toolkit, nothing happened.

could you please advise?

Hi, @Ally,

Can you open the log window and see if there are any messages there?  Also what version of JMP are you running?

Thanks,

M

HK_JUNG

Hi, @MikeD_Anderson 

I'm sorry to confuse you.

I have 4 questions.

1. I want to know how to make a legend, which is connected to the JMP distribution graph, on the wafermap. (JMP graph, figure2, means the distribution graph.)

2. Can I delete the value in the die of wafer map, such as count, range, mean and so on.

3. Can I zoom or fit the size of wafermap?

4. How many dies can be handled in the current version of semiconductor toolkit?

The JMP Korea's Senior Systems Engineer says the three functions (Q1, Q2, Q3) may be possible, and there is no limit of the number of die, but I'm little confused about whether he talks about JMP or STK. So I'll try to explain to JMP Korea's engineer in detail what I want from this tool. 

I really appreciate JMP's support.

Thanks,

HK

jmp_fig2.png

@HK_JUNG 

Hi!  Thanks for the clarification.  On your questions see below.  

1. I want to know how to make a legend, which is connected to the JMP distribution graph, on the wafer map.
    1. This is possible, but the STK isn't set up to do this at the moment.  I'll put it on the request list for the next release.
  2. Can I delete the value in the die of a wafer map, such as count, range, mean and so on?
    1. This is possible, but a little technical.  If you right-click on the graph you will see an option that says "customize".  In the customize menu, there is an entry for Die and Labels.  This graphic script contains an entry "Text(...)."  If you delete that entry the labels will disappear.  I'll also add a request to my list to make this easier.
  3. Can I zoom or fit the size of the wafer map?
    1. You can adjust the size of the map by dragging on the edges of the x- and y-axes on the graph.  
  4. How many dies can be handled in the current version of semiconductor toolkit?
    1. My counterpart is correct, there is no limit to the number of die or wafers that the STK can handle.  Practically, there will be a point where legibility will become an issue, which is a bigger concern in my book.  

Hope that helps!

Best,

M

Ally

@MikeD_Anderson 

I am using JMP 14.2 version and below is the log, while it is in Chinese. It is saying: invalid subscript (has to be number), it is accessing or calculating ''Loc(..."

pic1.PNG

@Ally,

Thanks!  That's informative.  I have a suspicion it has to do with the fact that you're running JMP in Chinese.  Can you do the following for me?

1. Open a script window (File > New > New Script).
  2. Paste this command: Get Color Theme Names();
  3. Select Edit > Run Script.
  4. Look in the log and send me the list that shows up. 

best,

M

Ally

@MikeD_Anderson 

Thanks for the instruction, Mike. Here is the output, while unfortunately, it is all Chinese charactors, all kinds of colors.

Does this help?

//:*/
Get Color Theme Names();

/*:

{"由绿经黑到红", "由绿经白到红", "由白到黑", "由蓝经灰到红", "由蓝经绿到红", "光谱", "由蓝经青黄橙到红", "由白到蓝", "由白到绿",
"由白到红", "JMP 默认", "JMP 深色", "JMP 浅色", "浓重", "成对", "柔和色", "普通", "SAS 默认", "SAS 浅色",
"SAS 统计", "SAS 分析", "JMP 鲜艳", "冷色变暖色", "蓝白红", "绿色变紫色", "青色变棕色", "白色变橙色", "白色变紫色",
"黄色变红色", "黄色变蓝色", "Viridis", "Magma", "黑体", "紫绿色", "柔黄色变红色", "绿黄红", "暗灰色", "浓淡混合"}

Thanks, Ally!

That’s what I was afraid of. The STK is looking for a color theme in English. With the color theme names being in Chinese, it’s not able to find what it’s looking for and crashing out. I’m not sure how to work around this beyond turning on the English language localization.

M
Ally

@MikeD_Anderson 

I changed to English version and it is working now, thanks a lot.

Thanks

Ally

bipppp

Hi @MikeD_Anderson

I just installed the toolkit, however I am unable to launch it. When I launch it, nothing happens & I get the following error (from log):

Unknown

The following objects failed to initialize and have been removed from the application. This might be due to data table dependencies that are not fully satisfied, or other causes. Additional details might be available in the log.

Objects
annotateTab
annotateBox
winListObx
basisObx
colorsObx
mapTab
mapBox
analysisTab
analyzeBox
UtilityTab
utilityBox
creditTab
credBox

Please help. I am running JMP Pro 12.2.0. Is there a file I need to pre-load before I run the App?Appreciate your help!

Thanks

Hi!

There’s been another JMP 12 user that had that same error. I wasn’t able to run it down. The current version of the software was released on JMP 14 and I never tested it on JMP 12. I’d start by asking your license administrator about getting JMP Pro 14. Depending on your license, it’s probably a free upgrade.

M
bipppp

Thanks for your reply, @MikeD_Anderson . I will contact my JMP admin.

Hi Anderson @MikeD_Anderson ,

I just installed toolkit in JMP12, looks like it doesn't work.

When I click the toolkit, one window named "centers.jmp" occurs, and no other window occurs;

Can you please explain the procedures and steps? Like how to install and what next?

2019-07-18_134742.jpg

Thanks a lot !

Sarath.

Hi! You need to have a data table open. It can be any data table, it doesn’t have to be named “centers.” Put that data table into the field in the dialogue and you should be off to the races.

M
sxwxw5191

hello:

I want to use the add-in to draw "Patterned Wafer Map", but when I press the X.Die buttion,it don't work, can you help me ?   thank you! problem.bmp

If you’re in the annotate tool (look at the buttons along the top), you need to create a visualization using graph builder or contour map first. Have a look at the pdf there are examples of what each tool does.

Best,

M

Edit - @sxwxw5191 - I just looked at the picture you sent.  The tool that you are trying to use requires that the data be the numeric ordinal modeling type (green icon).  If you right-click on the blue triangles next to the columns and select "ordinal" it should work.  - M

KSW

Hi Mike,

I am using JMP 14 (64 bit), and I have installed add-in of semicondcutor toolkit. 

I realize the interface shows blank except buttons as a figure shows below.

Do you any suggestion to fix it? 

missing font.PNG

@KSW - Hi!  It looks like a correction that I made so that the application would work with dark mode on Mac OS isn't playing nice with JMP 14 on windows... I uploaded the old version (it has JMP14 in the file name).  Try that one and it should behave. 

Best,

M

KSW

@MikeD_Anderson it looks good now. Appreciated.  

Best,

KSW

Enio_Carpi

Hi everyone, 

Any issues running STK on JMP15.1? When trying to create a wafer map got the error message below.

Thanks for the help.

EC

image.png

@Enio_Carpi - nope the STK is fine in 15.1.  That's just a bug I haven't got around to fixing yet.  Sorry!

M

Gasquet

Hi Mike,

This add-in looks pretty useful Mike.  I think I personally know txnelson and miss working with him.  He had created some nice tools along these lines.

In terms of suggestions for an update, I have the following to contribute.  Defect data usually comes in a file type called a Klarf file.  I have most of the code needed to parse and plot the Klarf file, label the notch location, and draw the wafer around the map.  It allows the user to choose individual plots for each wafer, or to have one graph with smaller images of each wafer tiled for all the wafers in a lot.  Marker size is scaled by defect size, and color scaled by image contract.  I need to do some bug fixes.  After the most recent JMP summit, I was made aware that images can be embedded in JMP tables.  The images from the defect review usually come in by a TIFF file that has all images in one file.  It would be great if we could find a way to get meta-data, extract the defect ID, and load the image to the correct row for the defect of interest.  Then data filter could be used to screen for large defects, defects with a certain contrast, etc., and defect classification type, if the tool provides that information for that defect inspection recipe.

It's still got some bugs that need to be worked on, because the Klarf file can be a pain to work with.  There are a lot of nuisance rows in the input log file that have to be identified and removed, and the row count (defect count) needs to be kept track of ignoring those lines.  Those lines could be useful for linking to the images.

Anyway, I think this would be a very cool addition to the add-in capabilities.  I'll have to check to see if I can distribute code publicly.

saradoudt

@MikeD_Anderson - sorry if i missed it, but is this updated for 16? If not, do you know if/when it would be?

Working on it! ;)

NeillSM

We are very new to JMP! and this add-in is very interesting to us - It's mentioned above that the error I am facing is a bug - is there a workaround? Or is the functionality broken for the time being? 

Thank you for your efforts!

NeillSM_0-1610098250512.png

@Enio_Carpi  and @NeillSM - I just uploaded a new version that fixes that bug.  Sincerest apologies for the delay!

M

MarkoJ

Hi,

I found this semiconductor toolkit couple of days ago and it has been a great help.

I've been using it to create wafer thickness maps with Bare Wafer Map Generator, but I have couple of issues with it. 

1. Our wafers have flats instead of notch. It would be great if there was an option to draw flat.
  2. Bare Wafer Map Generator draws the notch to bottom as default. It would be great to have to those notch location parameters available also in the generator. Now I can draw the notch after the generation with annotation tool, but it would be handier to have that option in generator. Also the color control in the generator would be good.

Thanks!

@MarkoJ  - Hi!  Thanks for the thoughts.  I was taking a break from working on the next version of the STK when I saw your note... so, great timing!  I wonder if you could pm me with some examples of what you'd be looking for in the flat marker and orientation control.  I'd also like to hear about what you're looking for in terms of the color control.  

Thanks!

Mike Anderson

AlB

This is a very useful toolkit but it is in need of an update as already noted. Hopefully, that's not too far away.

I really appreciate this tool and would be excited to see the following features added. Some have already been mentioned. I'm mentioning them again to hopefully improve their priority in the feature list.

- ability to save a different default "wafer radius" and "exclusion zone" in the Wafer Parameters section

- ability to show notch/flat and orient it up/down, left/right or by degree

- ability to show show location of actual data points and not just the "data points" used in the "fitting and display parameters" fit

- fix the graph to be a perfect square regardless of window size. This way the wafer edge display always aligns with the wafer map. Currently the wafer edge is always a perfect circle but the map follows dimensions of the window causing the two to not be aligned until the user very specifically sizes the window for perfect alignment

Thank you.

Al

@AlB 

• Ability to save a different default "wafer radius" and "exclusion zone" in the Wafer Parameters section
    • In progress for the v16 release.
  • Ability to show notch/flat and orient it up/down, left/right or by degree
    • In progress for the v16 release.
  • Ability to show show location of actual data points and not just the "data points" used in the "fitting and display parameters" fit
    • This can already be done using the checkbox in the lower left of the launch dialog.  You're trying to use the one that's native to contour plot - I have no control over that. 
      MikeD_Anderson_0-1624541329478.png

• Fix the graph to be a perfect square regardless of window size. This way the wafer edge display always aligns with the wafer map. Currently the wafer edge is always a perfect circle but the map follows dimensions of the window causing the two to not be aligned until the user very specifically sizes the window for perfect alignment
    • Sometimes JMP decides to resize thing on its own.  I have no control over this.  The easiest thing to do is just use the Size to Isometric function that's in every window.  This is what I already do as part of the scripts, but sometimes it get's overridden or changed later by JMP…
      MikeD_Anderson_1-1624541585763.png

AlB

@MikeD_Anderson Thank you for showing the "Size to Isometric" feature but when I check the "Show Data Points" in the "Fitting and Display Parameters" like you showed, I don't see them. I reverted to overlaying an X,Y scatter plot of the data points on to my map in Powerpoint. What is this supposed to look like? Here's a sample map I get with the "Show Data Points" enabled. It looks just like when "Show Data Points" is not enabled for me. I tried different color themes for the gradient just to make sure I wasn't missing anything and still don't see any data points.

TestWfrMapWdatapoints.png

I'm using JMP 16.0.0

Thank you.

@AlB - you should see something like this:

MikeD_Anderson_0-1624551053019.png

mrtonyd

Would anyone have an idea on how to get around this JMP alert?

I am using the Die Index option and filling the x and y coordinates with an ordinal column. The preview button seems to work, but clicking generate pops this window up

mrtonyd_1-1630600392286.png

@mrtonyd - try giving the shape file a name in that field under the Die-X and Die-Y boxes.

best,

M

baiyun

Hello Mike, 

Thanks for sharing this addin. I tried to install this addin, but there is no sub-script appeared as attached pic. 

baiyun_1-1643094915688.png

Thanks!

Yun

@baiyun - what version of JMP are you using?

M

EnioC

Hi Mike

Is STK running on 16.1?

@EnioC - yup should run just fine. 

JIcuss

Mike: this tool is exactly what Im looking for.

Im on JMP 13 as my laptop has windows 7 and I cant upgrade to a higher version of JMP. Where do I find the semiconductor plugin compatable with JMP13?

Thanks

Hi, @JIcuss - I started developing the toolkit for JMP 14, so there isn't a version that supports 13.  

Sorry,

M

Hello,

I was just wondering if it is possible to import a die map from a design file (specifically a gds file) to JMP.

my plan is to import files made on Klayout to JMP

Please let me know if this is possible and how can I go about doing this

Best Regards

Haroon Shahbaz

EnioC

Is there a way to use a GDS file to create a die map? I'm looking to stack defect coordinates to in-die locations.

Thanks

@DecileOcelot503 and @EnioC ,

Thanks for the interest in the STK.  It doesn't support GDS files at the moment.  Mostly because I don't have a good reference to work with to see if it's reasonable.  If either of you have or can point me towards an example, I can investigate and see if it's something I can support in a future release. 

Regards,

M

Hello Mike,

I would like to know if I can write a JSL script to automate the generation of wafer plots created by STK ? 
At the moment, I'm using graph builder to create and save dozens of curves related to wafer characterization, and I'll love to add some drawings ! 

Thanks for your responds,

KInd regards,

Wafer_Lover.

@Wafer_Lover, Hi!

If you use the STK to generate shape files for graph builder, you can use those to automate.  

Best,

M