Subscribe Bookmark RSS Feed
mia_stephens

Staff

May 28, 2014

Naive Bayes Add-In

An add-in for computing Naive Bayes probabilities, developed by Ian Cox (Ian@JMP) and BradyBrady for academic purposes.

1.  Open a data table with a categorical outcome and categorical predictors (Note:  All variables must be coded as Character and Nominal).

9634_pastedImage_0.png

2.  Specify the variables, and click OK

9644_pastedImage_1.png

JMP Produces:

• A data table, with calculations to compute the predicted probabilities and the most likely outcome.  Note that the most likely outcome is based on a cutoff of 0.50.
  • A cell plot, which provides a graphical representation of the results
  • An interactive dialog for computing predicted probabilities for particular features or conditions

3.  Select the features of interest, and click Compute Probabilities.

9645_pastedImage_5.png

Updated 10/2/2015:  Will now accept numeric columns, but these columns must be coded as Nominal.  The Value Labels column property must be removed prior to using the add-in.  Continuous predictors must binned or recoded (and require the nominal modeling type).

Comments
cgiannoulis

This is cool! Have you considered providing a Tree Augmented Naive Bayes (TAN), which outperforms naive Bayes, yet at the same time maintains the computational simplicity (no search involved) and robustness that are characteristic of naive Bayes?

mia_stephens

Thanks!  We haven't discussed adding TAN, but thanks for bringing this to our attention!  FYI - Naive Bayes is a new feature in JMP 13, which will be released in September.

mdwiers

Hello,

I love the Naive Bayes Add-In!  It works great at my office with JMP 11.0.0 under Windows 7 Enterprise.  However, I get the following error at home with JMP 11.0.0 under Windows 8.1:

Subscript Range in access or evaluation of 'Subscript' , scoreColList[i]

Does anyone know what's going on?

Thanks,

Matthew

California State University, Channel Islands

Article Tags
Contributors