Subscribe Bookmark RSS Feed

brand new to jmp pro 11 and have a question after reading a bit of using jmp, discovering jmp, and ch 4 on cluster analysis from the book multivariate methods. i have a hierarchical dataset and am attempting to determine what each level's contribution is

white_535_hotma

Community Trekker

Apr 25, 2015

brand new to jmp pro 11 and have a question after reading  a bit of using jmp, discovering jmp, and ch 4 on cluster analysis from the book multivariate methods. i have a hierarchical dataset and am attempting to determine what each level's contribution is to the total variance. could someone please take a moment to get me started ? in great appreciation, jw

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution

You can ask for the cluster summary (from the top red triangle) to see the total variation in each variable absorbed by clustering (see below - this is from the cereal data, in the sample data directory.)  The cluster means and standard deviations are also provided.  If you're interested in the contribution of each variable to the total variance that sounds more like principal components analysis (under Analyze > Multivariate Methods).

I may not be understanding your question.  If this doesn't help, can you please provide more information?

Thanks!

8641_pastedImage_0.png

2 REPLIES
Solution

You can ask for the cluster summary (from the top red triangle) to see the total variation in each variable absorbed by clustering (see below - this is from the cereal data, in the sample data directory.)  The cluster means and standard deviations are also provided.  If you're interested in the contribution of each variable to the total variance that sounds more like principal components analysis (under Analyze > Multivariate Methods).

I may not be understanding your question.  If this doesn't help, can you please provide more information?

Thanks!

8641_pastedImage_0.png

white_535_hotma

Community Trekker

Apr 25, 2015

Mia

thanks so much for your prompt and thorough reply . I will work on it a bit this afternoon and surely have another question !  in appreciation, jw