cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Submit your abstract to the call for content for Discovery Summit Americas by April 23. Selected abstracts will be presented at Discovery Summit, Oct. 21- 24.
Discovery is online this week, April 16 and 18. Join us for these exciting interactive sessions.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
JMPstart2020
Level I

How to get box plot overlayed with dot plot for selected groups?

I understand that after generating the box plot in graph builder, right-click the graph, select add, then select points will display dot plots over a box plot.

However, I have a single graph displaying 3 box plots for 3 groups:A, B and C.

Group A is a large sample size so the box plot alone is sufficient, however, Group B and C has such as small sample size.

Therefore, I would like to overlay two box plots (Group B and C) with dots. 

Currently, the above method applies dot plots to all groups. 

So, I would like to find out ways to have dot plot on selected box plots.

Also, is there any function that changes the color for 'outlier' dots?

Thank you for your help in advance.  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Potcner
Staff

Re: How to get box plot overlayed with dot plot for selected groups?

Here's an approach...

First, however, is that to display both a box plot and individual points, you simply need to select both the box plot and the points symbol in the palette at the top of the graph builder. Same result as "right-clicking" and choosing "add points".

Screen Shot 2020-05-12 at 4.11.52 PM.png

Re: showing dots only on selected box plots.

1. Highlight the points you don't want to display.

2. Right-click and choose Rows > Row Markers > Other

3. In the field that appears for you to type in the marker you wish to use, insert a space via the "space-bar" on your keyboard.

Screen Shot 2020-05-12 at 5.03.54 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-05-12 at 4.21.00 PM.png

Re: different colors for outliers

You can create an indicator variable via a formula identifying if a data value is an outlier or not. Then you can choose unique colors/symbols for each of the groups ("Outlier" or "Not")

Example if you were doing the standard Outlier if it exceeds 1.5*IQR beyond the Q1 or Q3.

Screen Shot 2020-05-12 at 4.59.28 PM.png

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Potcner
Staff

Here's an approach...

First, however, is that to display both a box plot and individual points, you simply need to select both the box plot and the points symbol in the palette at the top of the graph builder. Same result as "right-clicking" and choosing "add points".

Screen Shot 2020-05-12 at 4.11.52 PM.png

Re: showing dots only on selected box plots.

1. Highlight the points you don't want to display.

2. Right-click and choose Rows > Row Markers > Other

3. In the field that appears for you to type in the marker you wish to use, insert a space via the "space-bar" on your keyboard.

Screen Shot 2020-05-12 at 5.03.54 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-05-12 at 4.21.00 PM.png

Re: different colors for outliers

You can create an indicator variable via a formula identifying if a data value is an outlier or not. Then you can choose unique colors/symbols for each of the groups ("Outlier" or "Not")

Example if you were doing the standard Outlier if it exceeds 1.5*IQR beyond the Q1 or Q3.

Screen Shot 2020-05-12 at 4.59.28 PM.png

JMPstart2020
Level I

Thank you so much for the easy-to-understand explanation.