cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
cparlett
Level II

How do you get individual data points to show on top of a box plot graph?

How do you get non outlier data points to show on a box plot graph?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
julian
Community Manager Community Manager

Re: How do you get individual data points to show on top of a box plot graph?

Hi cparlett,

You can do this a few different ways. After generating the box plot in graph builder you can right click the graph, select add, then select points. Alternatively, you can add the points on top of the box plot by dragging the icon with points (in the pallete above the graph) on top of the graph. Dragging a visual (rather than clicking it) adds the visualization to the current plot (rather than replacing it).

I hope this helps,

julian

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
julian

Hi cparlett,

You can do this a few different ways. After generating the box plot in graph builder you can right click the graph, select add, then select points. Alternatively, you can add the points on top of the box plot by dragging the icon with points (in the pallete above the graph) on top of the graph. Dragging a visual (rather than clicking it) adds the visualization to the current plot (rather than replacing it).

I hope this helps,

julian

Kerouwhack
Level II

Suppose I'm using a box graph plot. On the X axis I have three groups: 1, 2, 3. But within each group are 3 sub-groups: a,b,c. When I add points, the points from subgroups a,b,c hover over the center of the group axis title without aliging on top of the box plot for subgroup a,b,c. How do I get the points to be in the correct sub group bin?

ruthhummel

Here is one way to do this -- there are definitely other possible variations on this.

What I am showing here is also covered in an example in the section “Create Nested Axes for Character Variables” in the JMP Help (https://support.sas.com/documentation/onlinedoc/jmp/13.1/EssentialGraphing.pdf) -- you can see a screenshot of the extra X-axis drop zone in Figure 3.16.

The trick is that there is a hidden drop zone in the X-axis that lets you add a second categorization variable on top of or below the variable that you already have in the x-axis. Just drag that second variable over the variable that is already in the x-axis and then move your mouse slightly up – you should see a smaller blue drop zone appear above the main x-axis drop zone, as well as a small zone appearing below the main zone.

Here I have my continuous Y in the Y zone, and my categorical X in the X zone:

Screen Shot 2017-09-12 at 5.30.07 AM.png

Then I add on the boxplots:

Screen Shot 2017-09-12 at 5.30.31 AM.png

And then I drag on the second categorical X variable into that zone that appears when I hover over and then slightly above the X drop zone:

Screen Shot 2017-09-12 at 5.42.15 AM.png

(Sorry about the “Where(IndividualWithinTrt = 1, 2, 3)” extra stuff – the example I had on hand has 13 groups within each of the four treatment groups, and that just looks way too messy.)

Just for extra clarity, I’ve now colored the four main treatment groups. You can see that each main group has three subgroups, which each have three points in them.

Screen Shot 2017-09-12 at 5.42.46 AM.png

dj94364
Level I

Hi Ruth,
I'm having a similar problem to OP, but I can't figure out how to get my data points centered when they're over my bar graphs. My data points bunch together in between my two bar graphs rather than staying centered in the way I like. I'm very new to JMP, so I'm assuming I need to change how my data is formatted in the data table instead of the way it is now (shown below). I was wondering if you or another JMP staffer could help me figure out what I need to correct to mimick your graphs where the bars/boxes line up with the individual points. I am also showing below the graph I can currently create with the improper positioning of the points. 
Thank you in advance,

Daniel
JMP Post1.PNGJMP Post2.PNG

ruthhummel

Hi dj94364

It may be easier to arrange your data like this:Screen Shot 2019-09-17 at 8.02.45 PM.png

Then in Graph Builder you can just grab the Value column and drag it into the Y zone, and grab the Group column and drag it into the X zone. Then drag the bars element on top of the plot. For this final plot, I did a couple other things, too: I pulled the Group column also into Overlay in order to get the two groups colored differently. I moved the Points forward (so they aren't hidden begind the bars) by right-clicking in the plot and selecting Bar --> Move Backward. And I right-clicked on top of the dots in the legend to choose "color" and make them black (so I can see the points on top of the colored bars.) Finally, I decided to make the two bars smoosh up against each other like in your plot by right-clicking in the plot, choosing Customize, then clicking on Bar in the list on the left, and changing the Width Proportion from 0 to 1. I also clicked in the title to edit it to say "Average Values by Group."Screen Shot 2019-09-17 at 7.59.33 PM.png

If this isn't the plot you wanted, let me know more details about what you are looking for and I'll try again. :)

-Ruth

dj94364
Level I

That's what I'm looking for! Thank you for your help

dj94364
Level I

Sorry, I realized that when working with this data in this format in graph builder that it doesn't allow for the bar graph to show the standard deviation in addition to an overlay of the data points. Is there any way to change the approach to allow this or to customize/edit something in the graph builder. I've shown below what I've managed, but ideally I'd like for the data points to line up with their respective bars.

JMP Post3.PNG

dj94364
Level I

I think I figured it out by moving the Group Data into the Color section under Overlay. Thank you for your help. Resulting figure shown below. 

JMP Post4.PNG