cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Getting fast helpful answers to your questions
In the JMP User Community, you want correct answers. Fast.

Well-crafted questions attract fast answers. First, search to see if someone already answered your question in the community. If not, choose the Community board that best matches your topic and ask your question there.

Here are the 3 steps to compose a great question:

1. Write a descriptive subject line. Be specific. "How do I check if values in one data table exist in another data table?” is better than “Newbie Question.”

2. Use simple language. You might be an expert in non-parametric statistics, but other readers may not be. Explain your problem simply and in context so that a reasonably smart person can understand.

3. A good question includes code and example data.  Even better, include what your output should look like. Remember not to include any confidential data in your posts or anybody’s personal information.

Now, let’s look at an example:

Open Database() Errors 

I've been working with several JSL scripts... each of them has several Open Database() Calls.. and if the Open Database fails for any reason.. I have always seen entries in the log file regarding the issue...  I then borrowed code from log_execute_sql.jsl I found somewhere... and basically read the last 10 lines of the log file and display dialogs for users if an error occurred....

today I started working with a new script, and it seems to not be writing the Open Database() Errors to the log, but rather throwing JMP ALERT Dialog Boxes up .. which is sort of nice, but not quite friendly enough... and I would like to use my function to check for errors....

Is there some method of controlling if these go to the log or not??? 

While it is possible to understand what the user is asking, a more specific subject line that states the question would be helpful. It also helps to include with the question the JMP version, operating system, a screen capture of the error message, and some script examples to make it easier for someone responding to provide a complete answer more quickly.

Here’s a better way to ask the question:

Title: How do I get all open database() errors write to log? Sometimes they write to log and other times I get JMP ALERT Dialog Boxes instead.

I've been working with several JSL scripts, each of them has several Open Database() Calls and if the Open Database fails for any reason, I have always seen entries in the log file regarding the issue. I then borrowed code from log_execute_sql.jsl I found somewhere and basically read the last 10 lines of the log file and display dialogs for users if an error occurred. Today I started working with a new script, and it seems it is not writing the Open Database() Errors to the log, but rather throwing JMP ALERT Dialog Boxes up.

I would like to use my function to check for errors. Is there some method of controlling if these go to the log or not? The only difference I can see in this new script I inherited is that it doesn't make any DB calls until AFTER the UI comes up. If I make an Open Database() Call BEFORE the new window is rendered and defined/populates, the error is in the log. How can I make it write them ALL to the log?

I’m seeing this in both JMP9 and JMP12 on Mac.

I have attached examples of error messages and scripts.

The second question setup is ideal because it mentions everything relevant. Notice that the user indicated the JMP version and OS being used and included attachments with error messages and script examples to better illustrate the problem. This question attracts a complete, helpful answer much more quickly.

Here are a couple more tips:
  • Check “like” beneath answers and community articles you find helpful. This makes the best content rise to the top of community searches where other users easily find them…and rewards those who help you.
  • Ask questions even if English isn’t your first language. Sometimes posting code explains your problem better than a thousand words. If context is needed, post in your native language. Fellow users or the community managers will figure it out.

The JMP User Community exists to help you increase your JMP knowledge. Help us help you by asking the best question you can.

Comments
NavyDse

I am using JMP 13.2 64-bit. I built neural network models and when I used profiler to displace multiple models and dragged slider bars, the curves disappeared after a few tries. Why does this happen? 

Maybe a related issue, I got this popup dialog saying a stack overflow occurs. Any solution? 

BTW - I tried Windows editbin /STACK:size command to increase stack size but it did not work.

NavyDse_0-1667312088768.png

Alma1

Hi everyone 

I need to understand generalized linear regression is there any youtube in jmp I couldnt find one. Can some one help?

Thanks  

Fatoks

Hi folks. This is Fatoks. 

I have a data set that the reponse and predictors are both categorical variables. The response variables are ordinal and unordered while the predictors are nominal. I intend using logistic regression to model the relationship. Any heads up please???

My version of JMP is Pro 16.1

Victor_G

Hi @Alma1 and @Fatoks,

Could you please create a new post with your question, with enough context/details, so that other members can see your questions and problems and may help you ?
Some ressources to help you structure your post :

Getting correct answers to correct questions quickly 

And this post obviously !

To create a new post for a question, simply go to Discussions - JMP User Community and click on the orange button "Ask a question". And please provide info, context, and any data (no confidential data) that can help understand and solve your problems, following the advides from the previous link and this page.

Hi,

I have I column with the name AE that consists of boxes containing different terms in lower and uppercase as follows:

Event [EVENT]
N / Y / N
Team [TEAM]
N / Y / N

All the items appear in a new line in the box. I want to make a new column (extract from column AE) that has boxes filled Another thing that could help is to create form one row as follows

2234XYZA000101 Event [EVENT]
                              N / Y / N
                              Team [TEAM]
                              N / Y / N
a multiple rows table as follows:
2314ABC000101 Leave [LEAVE]
2314ABC000101  Y / Y / N
2314ABC000101  Band [Band]
2314ABC000101  N / Y / Y

Could this be done? Thank you!

StatsMan

I am working on Multinomial model and wanted to compare mean response with respect to categorical independent variable. It would be great if anyone could help in this regard? Further can we define random effect in Multinomial and ordered logistic regression?

StatsMan

in addition to above question: How can we compare response means in Generalized Linear Mixed Model like we do in DoE?

I have a variable with 128 samples, called Elect, and I am in graph builder and I drag that variable in the color box. However it only shows 60/128 of the varibales. Anyone hve any idea how to go on so all variables are seen. I basically have an X and Y variable already on and wanting to see a scatter plot of everything at once with the Elect variable added in the color section/box.