Subscribe Bookmark RSS Feed

update a combo box in which the list comes from a data table that has to be opened by the user

marc_isal-corte

Community Trekker

Jul 23, 2014

Background

I am creating a small application with tabs, in one of them I request the user to open a data table

In another tab I have a  combo box that displays a list of unique values (“unique_copy_list’) of a column of that data table

cbx1=try(Combo Box(unique_copy_list),),

Problem:

When application is launched not data table is selected thus the  “unique_copy_list” is not available,

There is a way to refresh there the combo box?

Or it's better to use different approach

6 REPLIES
pmroz

Super User

Jun 23, 2011

You need to set up a callback to load the combobox.  Here's a little example.  You have to open the Bands Data example dataset for this to work.  I've also included a function to get the unique values for a column.

/* Function Name Get Unique Values

Description: Get the unique values for a column. For example:

Indications

------------

AAAAA

BBBBB

AAAAA

CCCCC

CCCCC

unique_list = get unique values (:Indications)

will return {"AAAAA", "BBBBB", "CCCCC"}

Arguments:

dtcol        column descriptor to calculate unique values for

*/

Get Unique Values = Function( {dtcol},{default local},

// Eval/expr trickery to get this to work.

eval(eval expr(

Summarize(unique_list = By(expr(dtcol)))));

unique_list;

);

nw = new window("Test",

tab box(

"First tab",

open_button = button box("Open",

dt = open();

// This example will work with Bands Data...

unique_copy_list = get unique values(column(dt, "customer"));

cbx1 << set items(unique_copy_list);

),

"Second tab",

cbx1 = Combo Box(),        // Initially this will be empty

)

);

marc_isal-corte

Community Trekker

Jul 23, 2014

Thank you for your fast response, still set items command does not refresh the mentioned combo box :S

It runs ok but no log error but the combo box does not reflect it

Also I run your full script (thanks again) and still nope

pmroz

Super User

Jun 23, 2011

Can you post your code?  Also what version of JMP are you using?  My program only works if you open the sample dataset called "Bands Data".

marc_isal-corte

Community Trekker

Jul 23, 2014

I use JMP 9.0.2

I used all the code you send me to validate solution just changing the column name from "customer" by “Copy” but this is not relevant since unique_copy_list variable contains the right information however seems that she set items commands does not have the desired effect

David_Burnham

Super User

Jul 13, 2011

JSL syntax evolves over time so if you are using a really old version of JMP then it really helps to mention this when you post a request for help.  What you are trying to do can be done in version 9, but the methods of updating list boxes and combo boxes have changed since then.  I thought Set Items was new to version 10 but maybe I'm wrong, but I know that in current versions this is much easier as illustrated by Peter.  You can still use the core principle though, which is to send messages to the combo box once the data table is selected.  A long-winded approach is to iteratively remove items (<<Remove Item) to clear the list, then append items (<<Append Item).  Our just zap the entire combo box and replace it with a new one!  I nolonger have version 9 installed so can't verify which approach would work best.

-Dave
marc_isal-corte

Community Trekker

Jul 23, 2014

Thanks guys for your support. Point taken, I will upgrade soon. Anyway with remove & append I got the job done.