Subscribe Bookmark RSS Feed

syncing .bat file execution to a .jsl file

mzimmers

Community Trekker

Dec 30, 2013

Hi -

I've been assigned the task of modifying some .jsl files. I'm brand new to all things JMP, so I have a couple of beginner questions:

1. What is the preferred mechanism for synchronizing the completion of a DOS batch file completion to the execution of a .jsl script? In other words, how to get the .jsl execution to wait for the batch file to complete before moving on to the next line in the .jsl file?

2. What do I have to do to get the show() command output to show up in my log file window?

3. Is there a reference manual somewhere for all of the functions available in the scripting language? The Scripting Guide is helpful, but seems to leave out a lot of information.

Thank you for any assistance.

5 REPLIES
pmroz

Super User

Jun 23, 2011

1. I don't know if there is a preferred mechanism for this.  You could have your .bat file create a dummy temporary file when completed, and in JSL have a loop that checks for this file's existence, with the wait command

2. show() and print() automatically display output in the log file window.  If you don't see your log window click on View > Log, and then Window > Log.  What's happening in your case?

3. For JSL I have two places to go:

a. The reference manual under Help > Books > Scripting Guide, which you've already found

b. The scripting index, under Help > Scripting Index.  Has lots of example code which you can execute at the click of a button.

mzimmers

Community Trekker

Dec 30, 2013

Thanks for the reply.

1. I was afraid of that. Using some kind of signal file will work, but certainly isn't preferred due to the overhead. Some of these batch files will be called very frequently.

2. View->Log doesn't seem to do anything, and I don't have a Window->Log menu item.

3. Thank you.

mz

pmroz

Super User

Jun 23, 2011

What version of JMP are you using?  View > Log brings the Log window up for me, in JMP 10.

mzimmers

Community Trekker

Dec 30, 2013

Version 11.0.

mzimmers

Community Trekker

Dec 30, 2013

I found the answer to #2: in Preferences->Windows Specific, there's a selector for "Open the JMP Log window." Mine was set to "only when I explicitly open it," (which I still can't figure out to do, but that's another story) and I changed it to "whenever text is added." That is at least a partial solution.