BookmarkSubscribe
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
emeritus
Occasional Contributor

suppress cross hatch in Mosaic graphics

When I click on a box in the Mosaic graph showing a crosstab it changes to cross hatched graphics and highlights the cases in the data set that it represents.  That last part is fine, maybe even cool, but generally I want to turn the cross hatching off.  How do I do that?

0 Kudos
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Re: suppress cross hatch in Mosaic graphics

Clicking a graphic element (e.g., a bar in a histogram, a marker in a scatter plot) selects the associated observations. The Selected row state changes, and the dynamic linking in JMP pushes that change out to all the open platforms.

Control-click in Windows or Command-click in Mac will have the opposite effect.

Learn it once, use it forever!

View solution in original post

emeritus
Occasional Contributor

That did it. Thanks. The issue was mainly asthetic, where I might want to export the graphic to a report. I can see how this is a powerful visualization tool.  Being able to click a response on one variable and seeing how respondents scored on other related variables is a very good feature.

Genearlly, I am an experienced SPSS guy making this transition.  I wish there was a way to fully understand the JMP interface without starting at a basic tutorial.  Maybe I just need to take the time and be more patient

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
emeritus
Occasional Contributor

It turns out the cross hatch problem appears on all graphics.  When you click on a element (say a bar in a distribution) is changes to cross hatch.  That selection also shows group membership for that bar in the data set as well as other graphic, which is a powerful tool.  The problem is that I can't figure out how to turn it off.  Sorry could be a newbie thing, I am transitioning from 25+ years with SPSS

0 Kudos
emeritus
Occasional Contributor

It turns out the cross hatch problem appears on all graphics.  When you click on a element (say a bar in a distribution) it changes to cross hatch.  That selection also shows group membership for that bar in the data set as well as other graphics, which is a powerful tool.  The problem is that I can't figure out how to turn it off.  Sorry could be a newbie thing, I am transitioning from 25+ years with SPSS

0 Kudos

JMP will typically highlight the current selection in the data table and all related graphs.  I think you're referring to this highlight in the mosaic plot:Untitled.png

In the preferences (File > Preferences) section for Graphs, there is a setting for the Fill Selection Mode.  There is no mode that completely turns off the highlighting, but you might prefer one of the other modes:

Untitled2.png

There are separate settings for marker selection in the Markers section on the same page of preferences.

emeritus
Occasional Contributor

That did it. Thanks. The issue was mainly asthetic, where I might want to export the graphic to a report. I can see how this is a powerful visualization tool.  Being able to click a response on one variable and seeing how respondents scored on other related variables is a very good feature.

Genearlly, I am an experienced SPSS guy making this transition.  I wish there was a way to fully understand the JMP interface without starting at a basic tutorial.  Maybe I just need to take the time and be more patient

0 Kudos

Clicking a graphic element (e.g., a bar in a histogram, a marker in a scatter plot) selects the associated observations. The Selected row state changes, and the dynamic linking in JMP pushes that change out to all the open platforms.

Control-click in Windows or Command-click in Mac will have the opposite effect.

emeritus
Occasional Contributor

This did it, thanks a lot.  The issue was asethic, where I might want to export a graphic.  Having the pattern showing on an element with no explanation would be misleading.  All the same, learning this feature was worth the effort, this is a powerful visualization tool.

As a longtime SPSS user I am ramping up on JMP.  I wish there were a way to come up to speed without plowing through a basic tutorial.  Perhaps I should just be more patient and do it.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Patience is a virture, and usually well-rewarded. I suggest three options that should be quick and rewarding:

• Select Help > Tutorials and select a few. They will give you a sense of how to use JMP.
  • Select Help > Books > Discovering JMP. This book will give you a sense of the mind-set behind JMP, which is, of course, different than that of other software such as SPSS.
  • Purchase the "JMP Essentials (Second Edition)" book and follow along.

All these resources are specifically designed to get you up to speed as quickly as possible and begin benefitting from some fo the unique JMP features (e.g., dynamic linking) that boast your investigations.

Of course, continue to participate in these discussions, too!