BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
David_Burnham
Super User

"tried to access window, but not connected"

I've started receiving the following modal window error message.  When I dismiss the window there is not noticeable problem with the output.  Curious to know the meaning of the error (it occurs in relation to display box updates).

Screenshot 2019-06-05 at 12.04.50.png

-Dave
0 Kudos
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Craige_Hales
Staff (Retired)

Re: "tried to access window, but not connected"

I think you have the correct answer; I tracked the message down and (both places) seem to be trying to get back to a report's DisplayBox tree that no longer exists.

Craige
4 REPLIES 4
David_Burnham
Super User

Think I figured it out.  I had a window containing a bubble plot and I thought the message was referring to this window, which I didn't understand.  However, I was also referencing the report object for the bubble plot (or trying to), and this is what the error message was referring to.  There was a risk that this report window might have been destroyed so I had the messages in a try block but that wasn't sufficient to suppress this message.  I've removed the try block and refactored the code so that I am confident the messages definitely get sent before there is the chance for the object to be destroyed.  I'm surprised its taken me 10 years of JSL coding to come across this error message!

-Dave
Highlighted
Craige_Hales
Staff (Retired)

I think you have the correct answer; I tracked the message down and (both places) seem to be trying to get back to a report's DisplayBox tree that no longer exists.

Craige
Craige_Hales
Staff (Retired)

I created a defect entry for this, thanks! 

Craige
0 Kudos

Thank you for the bug report, David and Craige. I'm happy to report that this scenario has much better error handling now, in JMP 15, so if future coders run into this situation, they should see a clearer message about where the error occurred.