Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Highlighted
antonio-domenic
Level III

question about _Std Dev on limits table created by control chart platform

Can anyone tell me what is the _Std Dev value in  the table that is created using the command Save Limits in New Table of control chart platform? I suppose it is the standard deviation of the dataset, but the value I see is different from the value that is calculated, for example, using the  Table Summary Std Dev. I verified that using different datasets, JMP 15.1, JMP13. Is there anything that i misunderstand?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
txnelson
Super User

Re: question about _Std Dev on limits table created by control chart platform

The _StdDev value is the mean of each of the subgroup's standard deviations.
Jim

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
txnelson
Super User

The _StdDev value is the mean of each of the subgroup's standard deviations.
Jim

View solution in original post

Highlighted
antonio-domenic
Level III

Make sense! Thanks a lot!
Highlighted

Your question is about the most basic aspect of a control chart: the estimation of the short-term process variability in the absence of a special cause (in control state). Your question suggests that you have not learned about the purpose and construction of a control chart. While the control chart is 'just' a run chart with limits representing the natural variation, its simplicity does not mean that 'just' anyone can use it properly. I recommend that you start learning by reading the relevant chapters from Help > JMP Documentation Library > Quality and Process guide. Then seek one of the books by Doug Montgomery or Don Wheeler, to name a couple of experts.

If you are charting important data to make important decisions then learning about proper control chart analysis is worth your time.

Learn it once, use it forever!
Article Labels

There are no labels assigned to this post.