cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Submit your abstract to the call for content for Discovery Summit Americas by April 23. Selected abstracts will be presented at Discovery Summit, Oct. 21- 24.
Discovery is online this week, April 16 and 18. Join us for these exciting interactive sessions.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
abmayfield
Level VI

posting interactive html plots on websites

Hello, 

I am interested in putting interactive JMP HTML files on my personal website, which is hosted by Squarespace. It seems like the only way to do this is 1) open the interactive HTML file on Chrome, 2) copy the HTML scripts (using Mac's "Developer" option), and 3) pasting the script into either a code box or "embed" box on my website. This does work (although I always get an error message saying the code is too long). However, it always puts the interactive plot under the footer at the bottom of the page (regardless of where I have "placed" the code box). Is there a way I can modify the script to where it actually puts the interactive plot where I want it to go? Alternatively, is there a way to simply "post" an interactive plot on a website, without the need for scripting? (I know hackers can steal my data this way; this is not a concern of mine. I want people to steal my data since it is for the common good!). 

Anderson B. Mayfield
16 REPLIES 16
nascif_jmp
Level VI

Re: posting interactive html plots on websites

You might have to enable visibility properties in One Drive to get the pages to report the correct MIME type.

It is also possible that Square Space is blocking all foreign pages (or all foreign JavaScript content) for security reasons.

Try creating an iframe pointing to my interactive HTML page on S3. The URL is on my first post.

This way you will know if the issue is with One Drive or SquareSpace. 

Also, check your JavaScript console for error messages, you might find a clue there.

abmayfield
Level VI

Great idea! I don't know why I didn't just simply copy and paste your code before, but YOUR graph comes up on my website fine. There is a long list of complaints about OneDrive's handling of HTML files (they open as script, rather than the final product within OneDrive). I just tried it with Dropbox and had the same problem as with OneDrive. I wonder if it's because, when you share files via a link, the link doesn't look like a regular website link (like yours)?For instance: https://www.dropbox.com/s/dwjyb5n0fk24zoo/Fit%20Y%20by%20X.html?dl=0. Interestingly, there is an "embed" feature with OneDrive that is meant to get around this issue (it gives you HTML code to copy to your website), but, ironically, it doesn't work for interative HTML!

In any event, I have just signed up for an S3 account, and it WORKS! Man, I never thought it would be such a pain to do this, but I think that, thanks to your help, using S3 to host the interactive HTML files from JMP and then referencing the S3 file links is a workable solution. Thanks so much for your help (and to the others, as well).

Anderson B. Mayfield
nascif_jmp
Level VI

Glad it helped! And don't forget, if you use JMP Pro, you can export your JMP models to scoring code and host them in AWS too:

https://dfd3m9li3aipf.cloudfront.net/index.html

or embed them (as JavaScript scoring code) directly into your HTML dynamic pages:

http://jmp.scoring.iris.s3-website.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/

http://jmp.valentine.s3-website-us-east-1.amazonaws.com/

abmayfield
Level VI

Awesome! And as a note to other interested individuals: Google Drive also DOES NOT WORK (interactive HTML files cannot be hosted by GoogleDrive and referenced in scripts to appear on websites). I wonder why S3 is the only one of these major clouds that works with interactive HTML (I didn't try Apple's iCloud, though). Shouldn't everyone have already switched over to this language for interactive file types?

My next step is going to be getting a JMP report with multiple windows to appear on my website. I'm guessing it should be no different from a single graph in terms of the steps necessary to do so (provided I use S3).

Anderson B. Mayfield

This request and the responses are awesome! Thanks!

I tried Dropbox, GoogleDrive, and OneDrive before my presentation about sharing Interactive HTML last year and had to report some disappointing findings.

It's good to know there are alternatives that work.

By the way, iFrames work in the JMP Community too!

abmayfield
Level VI

I wrote a complaint to OneDrive about their inability to handle HTML files. When you "open" an interactive HTML file WITHIN OneDrive, it only shows code!!! You would think Microsoft could handle this task....

I do want to mention here, in case a non-JMP expert/employee stumbles across this post, that the raw data can be extracted from interactive plots (i.e., a hacker could get at your data and reproduce them). I think that, for this reason, there is not currently a large demand for posting these kinds of interactive figures on personal websites (and why this is the first post on this topic). I'm mainly focusing on meta-analyzing already published data, so this is less of an issue for me. 

Anderson B. Mayfield
abmayfield
Level VI

BTW, this is also an "accepted" solution; the reason it did not work for me was because none of my websites or clouds could properly "host" an interactive HTML file. As it turns out, Amazon's S3 server CAN do so, so, upon using your script and providing a link to the interactive JMP HTML plot found on my S3 cloud, the plot appears in the correct location, and I do not need to paste in the 200 pages of script. 

Anderson B. Mayfield