Share your ideas for the JMP Scripting Unsession at Discovery Summit by September 17th. We hope to see you there!
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Highlighted

optimizing utilization of system resources

How can I optimize use of system resources when performing numerically intensive tasks?  I have 8 3.6Ghz CPUs and 65KMB of memory but my most demanding JMP tasks only appear to use a fracion of the CPU and memory resources available??? Is there a way to fix that? 

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted

Re: optimizing utilization of system resources

It sounds like you may be running 32-bit Windows or JMP as that will limit the amount of memory that is actually used. Make sure all ofyour software is 64-bit. If you find that it is, you should contact JMP Technical Support to see if there is something else that might be causing the issue.

Dan Obermiller
Highlighted

Nope.  Using 64 bit JMP on a 64 bit OS.  I have tried to get an answer from JMP staff w/o success in the past.  Perhaps I have not located the right person to talk to? Any suggestions?  

Highlighted
txnelson
Super User

Many analytical JMP Platforms will use all of the processors when computing.  However, JSL is not multi threaded and if much of your processing is done with JSL(for loops, and open code kind of things) will only deal with one processor.

Jim
Highlighted

Thanks. Is it possible some procs do not take advantage of multithreading while others do?  I am building a classifier from a large data set and boosted tree uses most of my system resources (makes sense since that is a natural application for parallel processing), but elastic net crawls along with only a single CPU and very little memory.   I guess I assumed it would still be possible to optimize resource utilization for elastic net as well  but then I don't know anything about optimizing code for multiple processors.  

Highlighted
txnelson
Super User

This would be a question for the JMP developers.  You should contact JMP support if you want to pursue it.

Jim
Article Labels

There are no labels assigned to this post.