cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar

label multiple ellipses in biplot

Dear Community,

Is there an easy way to label multiple ellipses in a biplot without adding individual annotations?

Thank you,

-Lucas

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Phil_Kay
Staff

Re: label multiple ellipses in biplot

Okay, a better solution:

1. Make the ellipse plot with the points graph element as well

2. Select one of the data points from each source and then right-click > Rows > Label

You should have a label for each source ellipse now - assuming you have defined the source colunm as a label)

Now you want to get rid of the points from the plot. Actually we will just make them invisible.

3. Select the rows for the points that define the ellipses and define the marker for the rows as a space character, " " (Rows > Markers > Others...) 

Image.png

See the example data table with Graph Builder script.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Phil_Kay
Staff

Hi,

How did you create the ellipses? They don't appear to have any data associated with them. I think we would need to understand that to offer a solution.

Thanks,
Phil

Hi Phil,

I am analyzing geochemistry (parts per million concentrations) from obsidian rock of which there are multiple groups or sources of obsdian. The ellipses are created from grouping multiple samples of obsidian source reference material (n=>5), applying 95% confidence ellipses based on these source samples, then hiding the source sample points, and then plotting the unknown samples relative to those ellipses to determine what source they are from. I am trying to label the ellipses by my source groups. In the past, I have inserted annotations with the obsidian reference material name, but this becomes time consuming if I want to repeat the analysis with new data.

Thank you,

-Lucas

In addition to Phil's help, I suggest that you study the Discriminant platform. You can build a model from the known sources (supervised learning) and then classify new samples based on the model.

Thank you. I will look into this further. I have used the distriminate function but not for creating a model.

Phil_Kay
Staff

Thanks for the explanation. I think that a solution would be to overlay with a data point for the means of each obsidian source reference material. Then you can label these points but make them invisible. I'll have a look later to see if I can find the simplest way to do this. Unless someone else provides a solution in the meantime...

Thank you Phil. How do I plot a mean point for each source?

Phil_Kay
Staff

Okay, a better solution:

1. Make the ellipse plot with the points graph element as well

2. Select one of the data points from each source and then right-click > Rows > Label

You should have a label for each source ellipse now - assuming you have defined the source colunm as a label)

Now you want to get rid of the points from the plot. Actually we will just make them invisible.

3. Select the rows for the points that define the ellipses and define the marker for the rows as a space character, " " (Rows > Markers > Others...) 

Image.png

See the example data table with Graph Builder script.

Thank you Phil. I will give this a try. I follow your instructions.