Subscribe Bookmark RSS Feed

joining two sheets and chaning the format of the resultant sheet

fr2007

Community Trekker

Jul 3, 2012

hi all

iam trying to join two excel sheets(i have a common column in both the sheets) using Join command in JMP. For the resultant sheet (FInal. xlsx), I need to change the format of one particular column from chanracter to numeric. I want to include this in my script so that if I run the script, I get joined excel sheet with the column format changed

ex:

Data Table( "Sheet1" )

<< Join(

With( Data Table( "Data" ) ),

By Matching Columns( :Name= :Name2),

Drop multiples( 1, 1 ),

Name( "Include non-matches" )(0, 0),

Preserve main table order( 1 ),

Output Table( "Final Sheet" )

)

in the final sheet, i want to change the format of the column "D" from character to numeric

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution

dt = data table("Final Sheet");

column(dt, "D") << data type(numeric) << analysis type(continuous);

7 REPLIES
kevinmc

Community Member

Aug 20, 2012

in base sas:

data data1(rename=(name2=name)); /*here variable name2 change to name why because we need common variable while joining*/

set data;

run;

data finalsheet;

merge sheet1 data1;

by name;

dd=input(d,9.);/* by using input function we can convert character to numeric*/

run;

fr2007

Community Trekker

Jul 3, 2012

i am trying to write a script in JSL..i performed the join function using the tables->join functionality and just copied the script from the script editor. Now I want to change the format of one of the columns in the resultant sheet. From Character to Numeric. How do I include this?

Solution

fr2007

Community Trekker

Jul 3, 2012

Thank you so much. I want to add a small piece of code to the resultant code..i want to take out all the rows that have the numeric value of '0' in the column D;

ex:

Data Table( "Sheet1" )

<< Join(

With( Data Table( "Data" ) ),

By Matching Columns( :Name= :Name2),

Drop multiples( 1, 1 ),

Name( "Include non-matches" )(0, 0),

Preserve main table order( 1 ),

Output Table( "Final Sheet" )

);

match_rows = dt << get rows where(contains(:D, "0"));

newdt = dt << subset(columns(), rows(match_rows));

but iam unable to get the rows that has the numeric value of 0 in the column D and then subtract the value of column E from Column C (which are in date format mm/dd/yyyy)..can you please help me with this code?

pmroz

Super User

Jun 23, 2011

Since D is now numeric you can't compare it to a string ("0").  This code will work:

match_rows = dt << get rows where( :D == 0 );

dt << delete rows(match_rows);

fr2007

Community Trekker

Jul 3, 2012

but this code gives me rows that have the numeric value of 0 in column D. But it is not giving the difference between Column E and Column C (which are in date format). The difference between the two days should be displayed in another new column(along with all the columns in the "Final Sheet").

fr2007

Community Trekker

Jul 3, 2012

but this code gives me rows that have the numeric value of 0 in column D. But it is not giving the difference between Column E and Column C (which are in date format). The difference between the two days should be displayed in another new column(along with all the columns in the "Final Sheet").