It’s World Statistics Day! To honor the theme of the day, the JMP User Community is having conversations about the importance of trust in statistics and data. And we want to hear from you! Tell us the steps you take to ensure that your data is trustworthy.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Highlighted

how to have a fix number of data within clusters when use hierarchical cluster

Hello all,

I am using the hierarchical cluster to group similar modules now. My script is below:

dt = current data table();
obj = Hierarchical Cluster(
Y( :A, :B),
Method( "Ward" ),
Standardize Data( 1 ),
by(:SampleDescription),
Number of Clusters( 6 ),
color clusters(1),
Columns Scaled Individually(0)
);
obj << Declutter(1,1);
obj << Go;

However, I really want to set up a fixed number of models in each group. Does anyone know could jmp achieve it?

Thanks a lot,

Wen

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
gzmorgan0
Super User

Re: how to have a fix number of data within clusters when use hierarchical cluster

Wen,

Your question is not clear to me.  You have a column called :SampleDescription so you will get a cluster analysis for each group defined by :SampleDescription. I do not understand the statement "fix number of models in each group." 

Highlighted

Re: how to have a fix number of data within clusters when use hierarchical cluster

Thank you for replying me. I was wondering if I could set up a number, for example 5, so JMP could generate clusters that have 5 models in each. I guess there is no way that JMP can do it. But thank you for reply any way.

Thanks

Highlighted

Do you mean 5 members per cluster? So that each cluster has exactly 5 members?

If so, I am not familiar with any clustering method that lets you define/limit the number of members in each cluster. Only the number of clusters can be defined/limited in JMP.

Chris Kirchberg
Principal Systems Engineer, Life Sciences - JMP Global Technical Enablement
SAS Institute, Inc. - Denver, CO
Tel: +1-919-531-9927 ▪ Mobile: +1-303-378-7419 ▪ E-mail: chris.kirchberg@jmp.com
JMP – A Division of SAS Institute | www.jmp.com
Article Labels

There are no labels assigned to this post.