cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Submit your abstract to the call for content for Discovery Summit Americas by April 23. Selected abstracts will be presented at Discovery Summit, Oct. 21- 24.
Discovery is online this week, April 16 and 18. Join us for these exciting interactive sessions.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar

how to create average data from several rows?

Hi, I have groups of mice, with tumours. Each group gets a specific treatment and tumour growth is measured daily. At the end of the experiment I have data for 3-4 groups, each group consisting of 4-5 mice, how do I create a graph of the data with one line for each group using the average daily measurements for the groups as the points on the lines?

here is part of the table:

1199_Capture.PNG

where there are four members to each treatment group (with their order changing randomly each day) and a set of measurements for each day (d20, d21, d22 etc)

I need to plot the line for the averages (with error bars) like you can do in prism (my supervisor wants me to use jmp)

thanks for the help

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
David_Burnham
Super User (Alumni)

To perform analysis on your data, JMP needs the data organised 1 column per variable.  So your first step is to restructure your data so that you have a single column containing all tumour growth data (and one column for day).  To do this use the Stack command on the Tables menu and stack all the "d" columns:

1210_Capture.jpg

This will give you a table organised like this:

1211_Capture.jpg

If you want to generate summary stats (means and standard deviations) for each group for each day you can use the Summary command on the Tables menu:

1212_Capture.jpg

Alternatively, if you want to graph the data with error bars, the Chart option under Graphs will perform the graphical equivalent of the Summary command:

1213_Capture.jpg

1214_Capture.jpg

-Dave

-Dave

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
David_Burnham
Super User (Alumni)

To perform analysis on your data, JMP needs the data organised 1 column per variable.  So your first step is to restructure your data so that you have a single column containing all tumour growth data (and one column for day).  To do this use the Stack command on the Tables menu and stack all the "d" columns:

1210_Capture.jpg

This will give you a table organised like this:

1211_Capture.jpg

If you want to generate summary stats (means and standard deviations) for each group for each day you can use the Summary command on the Tables menu:

1212_Capture.jpg

Alternatively, if you want to graph the data with error bars, the Chart option under Graphs will perform the graphical equivalent of the Summary command:

1213_Capture.jpg

1214_Capture.jpg

-Dave

-Dave