cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
cbear
Level I

help!! How can I change each variables plotted points to something other than solid circle in graph builder?

help!! How can I change each variables plotted points to something other than solid circle in graph builder, such as an open circle or diamond? Attached is an example of an older graph (created in older JMP version) with the variables points marked differently and

an example from newest JMP version.12083_JMP older version.png12082_Newest JMP version.png

4 REPLIES 4
Phil_Brown
Super User (Alumni)

Re: help!! How can I change each variables plotted points to something other than solid circle in graph builder?

Yes, depending on how your datable is set up, you may be able to use the ​Color​ or ​Overlay ​fields in Graph Builder.

PDB
cbear
Level I

Re: help!! How can I change each variables plotted points to something other than solid circle in graph builder?

How does my data table*?* need to be set up? what are the steps to get to the option? I've tried color and the above graph is using overlay.

ron_horne
Super User (Alumni)

is this what you are looking for?

basic:

JMP Graphics Tip: Alphabetic Markers

more advanced:

http://blogs.sas.com/content/jmp/2009/03/24/want-cool-row-markers-in-jmp-8-heres-how-to-get-em/

there is also a way of customizing the markers and their direction i just couldn't get the reference.

KarenC
Super User (Alumni)

As is the case in JMP there is more than one way to do this, here are a few that I know of:

1. Try putting your grouping category in both the overlay and the color options and see if you get what you want. Note, if you are using lines then you may have to add "points".  If you open the big class sample data:

Y = height

X = age

select the line

overlay = sex

color = sex

right click, add points

on the left under points change summary statistic to mean

[Missing image]

2. Double click on the legend to bring up legend settings. Click on the line or marker to change them.

3. Right click (in any plot) and select "customize", there you will find options for line colors, maker colors, marker shapes, etc.