Subscribe Bookmark RSS Feed

having trouble creating XBar chart via the Control Chart menu but is easy to create one using the Control Chart Builder.

rabelardo

Community Trekker

Mar 30, 2016

hi everyone.

i was trying to recreate the graph provided in Dr. Don Wheeler's article​ (left graph of fig. 1) using the attached file.

it's easy to create it via the Control Chart Builder by dragging "column label" in the subgroup drop zone and "data" in the Y drop zone (right graph of fig. 1).

but i'm having trouble replicating it via the Analyze > Quality and Process > Control Chart > XBar option (fig. 2).

when i select Sample Grouped by Sample Label option and enter "column label" in Sample Label (fig. 3), it shows an alert window saying that the sample size is equal to 1 (fig. 4) and shows an individuals chart when i click continue.

appreciate it if you could tell me what i'm doing wrong and how to do it correctly.

- Randy, JMP newbie

fig. 1

11793_Untitled.png

fig. 2

11790_1.png

fig. 3

11791_2.png

fig. 4

11792_3.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution

Looks like if you want to use the 'old' XBar platform the 'Sample Label' column has to be sorted so that the levels are contiguous. So right click on the column header, and pick 'Sort > Ascending'. Generally though, the interactivity of 'Control Chart Builder' has some advantages if the usage pattern is more exploratory.

2 REPLIES
Solution

Looks like if you want to use the 'old' XBar platform the 'Sample Label' column has to be sorted so that the levels are contiguous. So right click on the column header, and pick 'Sort > Ascending'. Generally though, the interactivity of 'Control Chart Builder' has some advantages if the usage pattern is more exploratory.

rabelardo

Community Trekker

Mar 30, 2016

Sorting in ascending order did the trick, Ian. Thanks !

It's odd that the Control Chart Builder automatically detects the pattern but the old platform needs some minor data manipulation.

I pretty much use the iMR & XBar charts a lot and won't be needing the interactivity of the Control Chart Builder most of the time that's why I opted to choose the Analyze > Quality and Process > Control Chart > XBar option.

Also, the layout of the XBar chart option graphs (fig. 1) is more conducive for visual inspection (i asked a few colleagues) . The Control Chart Builder output looks like 1 big consolidated graph and the charts are too close together (fig 2). There's no option to put a wider space or to separate the 2 graphs. Is there like a Graph Spacing option for Control Chart Builder (fig 3)?

Much appreciated.

- Randy

fig. 1

11794_3.png

fig. 2

11795_2.png

fig. 3

11796_Untitled.png