Subscribe Bookmark RSS Feed

graph builder

seon-ho_choi

Community Trekker

Oct 22, 2015

I am using JMP 11 and trying to plot a contour map in a grid like shown in the screen shot below.

As it can be seen in the screen shot the origin of the plot is at the top left.

I suspect Graph Builder follows a typical computer graphic coordinate system.

I want to move the origin to the bottom left, i.e., the variable for Y-cord to start from bottom left like typical Cartesian coordinate system.

Can some one help how I can change the origin of the coordinate?

10245_pastedImage_1.png

4 REPLIES
ian_jmp

Staff

Jun 23, 2011

I think you are referring to the ordering of the levels in the Graph Builder groups. If so, you can assign a 'Value Order' property to the requisite columns:

New Table( "Reorder GB Group Levels",

Add Rows( 9 ),

New Script(

"Graph Builder",

Graph Builder(

Size( 536, 456 ),

Show Control Panel( 0 ),

Variables( Group X( :Group X ), Group Y( :Group Y ) ),

Elements( Points( Legend( 3 ) ) ),

SendToReport(

Dispatch( {}, "X title", TextEditBox, {Set Wrap( 2 )} ),

Dispatch( {}, "Y title", TextEditBox, {Set Wrap( 2 )} )

)

)

),

New Column( "Group X",

Numeric,

"Continuous",

Format( "Best", 12 ),

Set Property( "Value Ordering", {3, 2, 1} ),

Set Values( [1, 2, 3, 1, 2, 3, 1, 2, 3] )

),

New Column( "Group Y",

Numeric,

"Continuous",

Format( "Best", 12 ),

Set Property( "Value Ordering", {3, 2, 1} ),

Set Values( [1, 1, 1, 2, 2, 2, 3, 3, 3] )

)

)

mdawson69

Community Trekker

Aug 26, 2015

Actually, the X and Y groups in Graph Builder are independent of coordinate systems. Your Ball nominal Y variable does follow the Cartesian system as expected because that variable is your y-axis. The groups are simply being shown in order based on the normal reading direction in Western culture: left-to-right, top-to-bottom. Had the Y-cord groups been non-numeric, the groups would have been listed from top-to-bottom in alphabetical order.

In order to change the order of the groups, you need to change the order of the values. Fortunately, your groups are just numbers, so the process to reverse the order is quite simple. In the data table, open the Column Info for Y-cord. First make sure that the Modeling Type is either ordinal or nominal. Under Column Properties select Value Ordering. In the Value Ordering frame click the Reverse button. Once you exit the Column Info dialog, you should see your graph update the reflect the new group order.

seon-ho_choi

Community Trekker

Oct 22, 2015

Thank you very much mdawson69!

That did the trick. As you may have guessed I am not that good at JMP.

mdawson69

Community Trekker

Aug 26, 2015

Don't feel bad, sen-ho.choi; we all have to start somewhere. I had a professor in grad school who after more than 20 years of using SAS—JMP’s big sibling—rates himself as a 3 out of 10 in terms of expertise. This from person that would uses a much broader range of the features because he teaches a wide range of subject matter as opposed to most analytical professionals that are likely to be more narrowly focused than someone in academia.