cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Submit your abstract to the call for content for Discovery Summit Americas by April 23. Selected abstracts will be presented at Discovery Summit, Oct. 21- 24.
Discovery is online this week, April 16 and 18. Join us for these exciting interactive sessions.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
dannyfinn11
Level III

fixing unstable variables

How do you correct an unstable variable in a data set?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
txnelson
Super User

Re: fixing unstable variables

I ran your example using the Age Ranges and I was supprized how JMP handled the column.  I had expected JMP to collapse all of the age data into your 4 groupings.  Rather, it broke out all of the different ages into separate(Ordinal???) effects.  I am not sure that is what you wanted, and I am not sure what is really going on.  I assume what you really want to do is to group the data into the 4 groups, and to use those groups as input into the regression.  If that is the case, I suggest that you create a new column and then use a formula to create the 4 groups.

If( :age < 35, "Millennial", :age < 50, "Generation X", :age < 65, "Boomers", "Greatest" );
Jim

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
txnelson
Super User

Can you please define "Unstable".......it has outliers?, There are typos in you data input? The distribution is not from a normal distribution?

Jim
dannyfinn11
Level III

Its on the age range I created. The age variable shouldnt have any outliers in the orginal data set. If you look at the Age variable it is fairly normally distributed. Age as continuous is significant but Age Range shows bias. 

If you run a regression on the data set you'll see where the unstability is. 

txnelson
Super User

I ran your example using the Age Ranges and I was supprized how JMP handled the column.  I had expected JMP to collapse all of the age data into your 4 groupings.  Rather, it broke out all of the different ages into separate(Ordinal???) effects.  I am not sure that is what you wanted, and I am not sure what is really going on.  I assume what you really want to do is to group the data into the 4 groups, and to use those groups as input into the regression.  If that is the case, I suggest that you create a new column and then use a formula to create the 4 groups.

If( :age < 35, "Millennial", :age < 50, "Generation X", :age < 65, "Boomers", "Greatest" );
Jim
dannyfinn11
Level III

YES!!! That fixed it. Thank you!!