cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
nathan-clark
Level VI

editing jsl outside of JMP

I do 99% of of my JSL scrpiting inside JMP, but I maintain a repository of several file types and do much of that editing in Sublime. Has anyone every put together a sytax file for .JSL that can be used in sublime or any other editor? I don't do it enough to make it really annoying, but it would be nice to have a similar color scheme in both locations :)

If no one has put together such a file, perhaps I could get a syntax-type file from JMP that I could work on merging into a custom file for the outside editor.

Thanks!

6 REPLIES 6
pmroz
Super User

Re: editing jsl outside of JMP

I use Notepad++ which has syntax colorization like Sublime.  Try setting the language to Javascript - that's pretty close to JSL.

nathan-clark
Level VI

Thanks! that does help some. Not quite the same, but close enough to start with :)

txnelson
Super User

I have never seen a need for editing JSL outside of JMP, because of the built in features that lets you run selected code, mouse over variables to see their values, or to run the debugger, to step through the code. Also the ability to split the editor window, etc.. Can you educate me on what items in an external editor that you find advantageous?
Jim
nathan-clark
Level VI

You are correct for all of the above and that's why I do almost all my coding right in JMP. I manage over a dozen addin's that I've created over time and I recently set up an SVN repository to make it easier for me to track all of the addin scripts and documents.

I use Sublime Text as my editor and it allows me to edit the .def, .jmpcust, and .jsl files all in one location (not to mention a few other text-based files I have in the repository). I am familiar enough with many of my scripts that I can do a fair amount of editing outside of JMP using the program for final verifications of the scripts. As such, having proper coloring would be beneficial.

So then I can edit the .jsl, the .def and .jmpcust files all at once w/o having to jump between programs.

pmroz
Super User

I use JMP for most JSL editing.  However there are some features of Notepad++ that are extremely convenient:

• Find in Files
  • Find/Replace in Files
  • Speed - the JSL editor can be a bit slower at times.
  • Macros

I imagine that Sublime has features like this.

nathan-clark
Level VI

Yes, Sublime has those features as well making it a good choice when JMP isn't the best one. I also have Notepad ++ but went with sublime for some user interface aesthetics and it's connection with tortoise SVN.