Subscribe Bookmark RSS Feed

custom names for categories on X axis

simonp

Community Trekker

Feb 24, 2012

HI all,

I am using JMP 10 on windows. This may be a very simple question, but how do I change labels of categories on X axis? Here is what I mean:

Y

/\

|

|

|

|

-------------,-------------,-------------,-------------,------------->

0-19       20-29       30-49        50-69       70        X axis (age)

By default, the categories (0-19, 20-29, 30-49,50-69, 70) are inherited from the ones in a column "age". Is there a way I can change the 0-19 to read "under 19" and 70 to read "70 and over"? If I change the values in the column "age" then 70 shows up as a second category, right after 0-19, but that is not what I want. I am assuming there is a script command to do that...

Thank you very much,

Patrick

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution

HI Patrick and welcome,

what you are looking for is called "value labels".

1. right click on the column "age" from the list of columns in the data table.

2. select "column info".

3. from the dropdown menu "column properties" select "value labels". there you will find a dialog in which you can modify your request.

best!

ron

6 REPLIES
Solution

HI Patrick and welcome,

what you are looking for is called "value labels".

1. right click on the column "age" from the list of columns in the data table.

2. select "column info".

3. from the dropdown menu "column properties" select "value labels". there you will find a dialog in which you can modify your request.

best!

ron

simonp

Community Trekker

Feb 24, 2012

Hi Ron,

thank you very much! This worked like a charm.

Patrick

joneseven

Community Trekker

Dec 4, 2011

Hi Ron

Is there any way JMP9 can do like this?

Thank you very much!

ron_horne

Super User

Jun 23, 2011

hi joneseven,

this should work on JMP 9 as well. jmp has "value labels" as a column option since i can remember it.

joneseven

Community Trekker

Dec 4, 2011

Hi ron

thanks for your answer,best regards!

lakr

Community Member

Sep 3, 2013

Hi Ron,

I have data from samples that were given two different IDs. I've been able to put in all of the value labels for the column to rename one set of IDs back to the original IDs so that I can still compare these data. However, when I go to create a variability chart, it doesn't recognize that these samples have the same name, instead it labels some of the entries as Old ID: New ID. Is there a way to have charts display only the Value Label, and essentially recognize everything with the same ID as the same sample?

Thanks,

Ayo