cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar

counting number of cells in a column with a given value

Hi,

I'd like to count the number of cells in a column with zero as the value (or another arbitrary number).  Ideally, the results would be outputted as a list of counts.  Can someone point me in the right direction?  Thank you.

Regards,

Will

3 REPLIES 3

I would think that the easiest solution would be to simply use proc freq outputting the results to a file and then post-processing the output file for whatever criteria you need.

bgouaux
Level II

If all you want to know is how many times each value occurs in a given column, you could simply use:

Tables menu -> Summary

Enter the column in the field for 'Group'

The resulting table should have 2 columns, the first being all the values that occur, and the second being the number of times each occurs.

-Ben

Something like this should get you close:

dt << Current Data Table();

cols = dt << Get Selected Columns();

counts = NewTable("Counts for "||char(dt<<Get Name),newColumn("Column"),newColumn("Count"));

for(i = 1, i <= NItems(cols), i++,

r = dt << Select Where( ascolumn(eval(cols)) == 0 );

counts << AddRows({:Column = column(dt,cols)<< Get Name, :Count = NItems(r)});

);

I didn't test this.