Subscribe Bookmark RSS Feed

chart not launching under vba control, how to fix please?

mattpace0

Occasional Contributor

Aug 23, 2016

VBA automation.  I notice charts do not launch until the script has finished.  I need to see them as the script is running, is there a way to fix this please?

Also, I assume related. The macro creates several charts.  But seemingly at random some of them fail to launch.  They appear in the Window list in the home window, but do not display until manually launched.  I assume i am doing something wrong, but don't know what it is.

Thank you for any assistance.

7 REPLIES
briancorcoran

Jun 23, 2011

Hi Matt,

I apologize for somehow missing this when you posted it.  Can you provide the VBA source code that you are using?  Generally, if  you do a call sleep() in your code when there are timing issues, it can help with things like giving the analysis time to create a window.  The Analysis automation sample program that ships with JMP (c:\program files\sas\jmp\13\Samples\Automation\Visual Basic Samples\Analysis.NET)  provides an example of setting up the sleep call.  You must declare that you are calling an operating system function.  I'm using 13 as an example for the path, but this code shipped in the last 5 versions of JMP.

I hope that helps,

Brian Corcoran

JMP Development

mattpace0

Occasional Contributor

Aug 23, 2016

Hi Brian,

I definitely appreciate your help.  I do not find any provision to attach anything.

briancorcoran

Jun 23, 2011

If you use the "Advanced Editor", in the bottom left you will find an Attach icon.  Or, you can just pasteyour VB code to give me an idea what you are doing.

Brian

mattpace0

Occasional Contributor

Aug 23, 2016

I can make it worse by adding more Sleep()'s.  This configuration typically fails to launch the first chart, but all subsequent will launch.

Sub GenChartsReview(Filter As Variant, _

Group As Variant, _

Iter1 As Variant, _

Iter2 As Variant, _

Iter3 As Variant, _

Stats As Variant, _

Iterate As Boolean)

Dim APPjmp, TBLjmp, DOCjmp

GetJMP APPjmp, TBLjmp, DOCjmp

Dim Text As String

Dim Success As Boolean

Dim Stat, A, B, C, Index, PlotIndex, RowFilter()

Dim VChart() As JMP.Variability

If Iterate Then

If IsReal(Iter1) Then ReDim VChart((UBound(Iter1, 2) + 1))

If IsReal(Iter2) Then ReDim VChart(UBound(VChart) * (UBound(Iter2, 2) + 1))

Else

ReDim VChart(1)

End If

Index = 0

For A = 0 To UBound(Iter1, 2)

For B = 0 To UBound(Iter2, 2)

Success = True

Erase RowFilter()

AddFilters RowFilter, Filter

ClearRowStates TBLjmp

If IsValid(RowFilter) Then Success = ExcludeGroup(RowFilter, TBLjmp)

DoEvents

If Iterate Then

If IsReal(Iter1) Then IncludeItem Iter1(0, A), Iter1(1, A), TBLjmp

DoEvents

If IsReal(Iter2) Then IncludeItem Iter2(0, B), Iter2(1, B), TBLjmp

DoEvents

End If

Set VChart(Index) = DOCjmp.CreateVariabilityChart

If Success Then GenerateVarCharts VChart(Index), Stats, Group

DoEvents

Index = Index + 1

Sleep 200

Next

Next

Sleep 500

If Success Then

LaunchCharts VChart

Else

DialogAndLive "No Data To Plot, Are Filter Items Selected?"

End If

DoEvents

ClearRowStates TBLjmp

Set APPjmp = Nothing

Set TBLjmp = Nothing

Set DOCjmp = Nothing

End Sub

Sub LaunchCharts(VChart() As JMP.Variability)

Dim A

For A = 0 To UBound(VChart) - 1

VChart(A).Launch

VChart(A).Visible = True

Next

End Sub

briancorcoran

Jun 23, 2011

This may be hard for me to replicate.  I would suggest trying a Sleep in the actual LaunchCharts subroutine after the visible call.  Setting the variables to Nothing at the end, while good practice, does mean that they can be closed down.

Brian

mattpace0

Occasional Contributor

Aug 23, 2016

I may have found the problem, perhaps you could comment.

The code was generating an array of charts, then sending the array of charts to be launched and made visible

This proved to be unstable and be timing dependent.  i.e. - it would fail more often with larger data tables

Loop

Generate Charts(Index)

Next

Loop

Charts(Index).Launch

Charts(Index).Visable = True

Next

I changed it to launching the chart at generation and sending the array of charts to be made visible. 

So far, I have observed no abhorrent behavior 

Loop

Generate Charts(Index)

Charts(Index).Launch

Next

Loop

Charts(Index).Visable = True

Next

briancorcoran

Jun 23, 2011

I think this is preferable. Any time you create the JMP instance in a subroutine and then null out the application pointer on exit there can be issues with automation. Creating the JMP instance and passing it in, making sure its lifetime persists for the length of your full operation, is usually the best approach.

In your case, the initialization of the underlying windows is probably the issue. It seems like your new approach gives them more time to be created, so when you make them visible the initialization is complete and a quick exit won’t hurt things.

Brian