Share your ideas for the JMP Scripting Unsession at Discovery Summit by September 17th. We hope to see you there!
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Highlighted
sharmachetan
Level I

calculate total df in latin square design

I have a design where 4 blends of oil are being used on 4 cars and at 4 routes. 3 replications 

so

cars = 3 df

route = 3 df

oil blends = 3df 

replications = 2df

model df = 11

how i can caluctate total degree of freedom. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: calculate total df in latin square design

My apologies. I used a different design. Let's start over.

You have 3 factors, each at 4 levels. The Latin square design is a regular fractional factorial with 4^(3-1) = 16 runs. You replicated the  design twice for a total of 48 runs. There are 48 degrees of freedom in this data set.

So the model uses 1 degree of freedom as before to estimate the corrected total sum of squares. The estimates of the fixed effects use 3 df for oil blend, 3 df for car, and 3 for route or 9 df for the model. The df for the error sum of squares is then 48 - 1 - 9 = 38. Your book example also estimates the replicate as a fixed effect, presumably as blocking, so you would subtract another 2 df for 36.

Screen Shot 2019-04-07 at 12.13.59 PM.png

Are you using the replicates for blocking? If so, what is the nature of your blocks?

Learn it once, use it forever!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted

You start with 4 blends x 4 cars x 4 routes x 3 replicates = 192 degrees of freedom assuming that the observations are independent. You lose 1 degree of freedom for the grand mean when calculating the corrected total sum of squares. Your message indicates that you will use a model with only 'main effects' (first order additive terms) for a total of 9 degrees of freedom. That leaves you with 182 degrees of freedom for the error sum of squares.

The Analysis of Variance report in Fit Least Squares confirms this accounting:

Screen Shot 2019-04-05 at 4.40.04 PM.png

Highlighted
sharmachetan
Level I

Okay, then why book is showing something elsDSC_0013[12081].JPGe. Please see attached picture. 

Highlighted

My apologies. I used a different design. Let's start over.

You have 3 factors, each at 4 levels. The Latin square design is a regular fractional factorial with 4^(3-1) = 16 runs. You replicated the  design twice for a total of 48 runs. There are 48 degrees of freedom in this data set.

So the model uses 1 degree of freedom as before to estimate the corrected total sum of squares. The estimates of the fixed effects use 3 df for oil blend, 3 df for car, and 3 for route or 9 df for the model. The df for the error sum of squares is then 48 - 1 - 9 = 38. Your book example also estimates the replicate as a fixed effect, presumably as blocking, so you would subtract another 2 df for 36.

Screen Shot 2019-04-07 at 12.13.59 PM.png

Are you using the replicates for blocking? If so, what is the nature of your blocks?

View solution in original post

Article Labels

There are no labels assigned to this post.