Subscribe Bookmark RSS Feed

beginner in JMP

Hello

I'm a new user of JMP, not really familiar with statistic and have some basic questions.

I want to create a custom design with some ingredients to add in a solution.

For example :

A from 20 to 35%
B from 35 to 65%
C to complete to 100%

But, i want C as a factor and I want A+B+C=1

I'm trying to do that by myself but there is something in don't understand.

Could someone help me?

EDIT : other question, like that, JMP gives me points but only the low level, high level and middle one of each ingredients. I want more point between the 2 opposites, how is it possible?

Thanks,

Thorondor

Message was edited by: Thorondor
11 REPLIES
louv

Staff

Jun 23, 2011

Go to DOE pulldown>Custom Design
Add factor and add three mixture factors
Specify the ranges of your mixture components
A (0.2 to 0.35)
B (0.35 to 0.65)
C (0 to 1)
Specify your model to include 2 way interactions and generate your design.
The default here is 12 runs for d-optimal mixture

Alternatively go to DOE pulldown>Mixture DOE
Add three mixture factors
A (0.2 to 0.35)
B (0.35 to 0.65)
C (0 to 1)
Select Extreme Vertices
Select Make Table

Edit,
If you are looking for more levels try specifying the Scheffe cubic terms to your model.

Message was edited by: Lou V
Thanks a lot!!! I didn't know the mixture components option, it leads me where I want, thanks ;)

I will come back later for sure for the next question.

Edit : Great for scheffe cubic too :)
Thor

Message was edited by: Thorondor
jm

Community Trekker

Feb 25, 2014

Hi,

For the mixture design option, is it possible to key in any value as the limits? Or does the software automatically do the calculations for you based on the ratio of the first factor entered?

I am trying to do a 4-components mixture design and JMP is rejecting the values that I am keying in as the limits. It keeps reverting back to "0" and "1" for the lower and upper limit respectively.

Thanks,

Jz

louv

Staff

Jun 23, 2011

What are the ranges of the components in the example that you mention? If they don't add up to 100% one factor may default to 0-100% to accommodate the mixture requirement of summing to unity.

jm

Community Trekker

Feb 25, 2014

Hi,

I was trying to set the following as the factors in mixture design:

Component A; 0.97 - 0.99

Component B; 0.0005-0.01

Component C: 0.018 - 0.018 (I need this to be a fixed value, should I enter it this way?)

Component D: 0.002 - 0.0025

louv

Staff

Jun 23, 2011

In my opinion I would add Component A, B and D as Mixture components and Component C as a constant.

5012_Screen Shot 2014-02-25 at 10.27.31 PM.png

Next I would use the Advanced Options>Mixture Sum = 0.982 since 0.982+0.018 = 1

5013_Screen Shot 2014-02-25 at 10.27.45 PM.png

I would specify the model and generate the following design (see attached)

You will notice that the ranges for the settings of component A automatically reflect the constraints that are driven by the constraints that you have defined by your ranges of component B and D as well as the constant. I have added a column to the data table to show you the sum of the components is equal to 1.

jm

Community Trekker

Feb 25, 2014

Hi LouV,

Thanks for the file. I could click on the hot spot "DOE Dialog" found in your data table and make changes from there to generate a new Table. However I noticed for a data table generated using the Mixture Design, there is no hot spot available to edit the design. Currently am starting from scratch to generate a new table from Mixture Design when I want to make changes to my design.

Can you advise how I can get round this problem?

Thanks in advance!

louv

Staff

Jun 23, 2011

Hi,

Not sure I understand your comment. What version of JMP are you using? I use the custom design platform to create this mixture design. I wasn't suggesting that this was the design I would recommend but rather wanted to send it along to show you the levels of the components once all of your constraints were included.

jm

Community Trekker

Feb 25, 2014

Hi,

I'm using JMP 8..

I was exploring the software (since I'm new to JMP) based on the design you sent and observed that if I had used the Mixture Design directly, I wouldn't be able to edit the parameters to regenerate the design...