cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Have your say in shaping JMP's future by participating in the new JMP Wish List Prioritization Survey
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
frankderuyck
Level VI

X-axis of control chart builder

I want to create a control chart of a concentration versus time. This works well when I don't fill in the X-axis however when moving a time variable in h:min:sec to the X area the chart changes dramatically, why is this? How to solve? Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: X-axis of control chart builder

The problem is that the subgroup values are not unique.  JMP finds at least one subgroup that has more than 1 observation.  JMP therefore switches to an XBar chart.  Control Chart Builder has no way to switch from an XBar chart to an XMR chart.  The legacy control charts have this functionality. You should switch to Analyze->Quality and Process->Legacy Control Charts->IR.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
txnelson
Super User

It sees that the time is based upon seconds, and it will change the increment.  Try changing the date time variable to nominal or ordinal, and see if that solves your issue.

Jim
frankderuyck
Level VI

I tried to change to ordinal, nominal.. does not work.

Below a fragment of my data set, I would like the Time of day on X-axis.

frankderuyck_2-1615369665539.png

For "Time of Day" column info is as follows: switching to  continous or nominal does not work

frankderuyck_3-1615369789325.png

Below is the result I get, what is wrong?

frankderuyck_4-1615370094462.png

frankderuyck
Level VI

This is the required IMR chart with day as phase but with X-axis "Time of day" instead of subgroup

frankderuyck_0-1615370887143.png

The problem is that the subgroup values are not unique.  JMP finds at least one subgroup that has more than 1 observation.  JMP therefore switches to an XBar chart.  Control Chart Builder has no way to switch from an XBar chart to an XMR chart.  The legacy control charts have this functionality. You should switch to Analyze->Quality and Process->Legacy Control Charts->IR.

frankderuyck
Level VI

Hello Tonya, for each of the five days there is an unique process mesurement at each Time of day going from 8:00 in the morning to midnight, so when using day as phase I woud expect an ImR chart? 

frankderuyck
Level VI

Small correction above, there are 4 days (day = ordinal) labeled 2 to 5. 

frankderuyck
Level VI

Problem is solved, there was one time of day too much for 5th day and so yes no unique figure for that moment, x-axis setup is of critical imortance, thanks everyone!