cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
prince0026
Level I

Writing subscripts or superscripts in graph labels

How to write aubscripts and/or superscripts in graph labels? If anyone is having any idea, please help me out here !! This is really bugging since long.

Example: AB should be like AB

Thank You.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Writing subscripts or superscripts in graph labels

Here's a way to add superscripts to graph axes labels:

1. Set your font preference for AXIS to one that supports UNICODE (i.e. Arial Unicode MS). To do so, select File > Preferences, click on Fonts in the panel on the left, and then select Axis from the options that are displayed.  You can pick any UNICODE font.
  2. Run an analysis in the usual way.
  3. Edit one of the resulting labels and place your cursor where you want a subscript or superscript.
  4. While holding down the ALT-key on your keyboard, type the UNICODE associated with the desired superscript or subscript. For example, type 0179 while holding the ALT-key to get a superscript 3. The information on this particular code was obtained from:  Unicode Character 'SUPERSCRIPT THREE' (U+00B3)

You can search for additional codes at: http://www.fileformat.info/info/unicode/char/search.htm

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
wiebepo
Level III

There may be a work around available, depending on the letters&numbers needed in subscript/superscript. JMP is capable of displaying unicode characters. To display a specific unicode character, determine the code for it and then preceed it with "\!U". For example, water is H2O, but it would be best to display it with a subscript 2. Unicode for subscript 2 is "2082', so to get that effect, I can replace the 2 in H20 with "\!U2082". Here is an example:

newwindow("Water",panelbox("H\!U2082O"));

Consider modifying the fonts in preferences to one that includes unicode characters if the code displays a box instead of the desired subscript 2 symbol. Unfortunately, this solution does not work for all letters and numbers, since not all letters and numbers have a unicode subscript/superscript version.

prince0026
Level I

This is really strange. Did JMP developers not think about this? Other softwares (MATLAB, Origin, etc and even Excel) can let you do it pretty easily. I think JMP should provide easy fixes for this kind of trivial issues. Thanks anyway !! Probably have to think around it to address the issue some other way.

honeysmaks
Level I

Try pressing "Ctrl -" to bring up placeholders for a subscript and a super script. You can then edit those positions to get your desired effect.

jim_guenter
Level I

What? For me this does nothing. Neither does Ctrl+ or CtrlShift- or CtrlShift+. Is there really a way to make this work?

Here's a way to add superscripts to graph axes labels:

1. Set your font preference for AXIS to one that supports UNICODE (i.e. Arial Unicode MS). To do so, select File > Preferences, click on Fonts in the panel on the left, and then select Axis from the options that are displayed.  You can pick any UNICODE font.
  2. Run an analysis in the usual way.
  3. Edit one of the resulting labels and place your cursor where you want a subscript or superscript.
  4. While holding down the ALT-key on your keyboard, type the UNICODE associated with the desired superscript or subscript. For example, type 0179 while holding the ALT-key to get a superscript 3. The information on this particular code was obtained from:  Unicode Character 'SUPERSCRIPT THREE' (U+00B3)

You can search for additional codes at: http://www.fileformat.info/info/unicode/char/search.htm

ezorlo
Level IV

I agree this should be a basic feature and should support the simple keyboard shortcuts we are familiar with like ctrl+ for superscript

For anyone stumbling across this post, after a back a back and forth with the JMP services, the issue still has not been solved as of JMP 16 (10 years after this post was opened).

There is also apparently no current plan by the dev team to implement the functionality....

Maybe next decade?

@MachineCapybara we hear your frustration.  As one of the product managers for JMP, I encourage you to go to the JMP Wish List on the User Community and enter this as a new feature request.  We are addressing new feature requests that come through the Wish List in a more consistent and systematic way going forward, and I promise it will be considered and addressed in a reasonable time frame.