Subscribe Bookmark RSS Feed

Working with R in JMP 9 for Macintosh

ms

Super User

Jun 23, 2011

I have been looking forward to JMP 9 and especially to explore the new R interconnect capabilities. I have installed and played around with the 30-day trial (Macintosh version).

JMP 9 feels a lot snappier than version 8, both the GUI and loading large tables appear to have improved considerably regarding speed. I had one crash so far when trying the WMS add-in and another when trying the memory limits (although the latter test bring JMP 8 down too!).

However, the main reason for me to upgrade would be the R-interconnect, and I am not able to connect to R. The scripting guide gives no information on how to connect to R in Mac OS X. I can run the submit-code examples without any error messages in the log, but I don't get any results back either. R Init() results in -1, which I suppose means that JMP cannot find R.

Has anyone tried and succeeded to work with R from JMP on the Mac?
8 REPLIES
ms

Super User

Jun 23, 2011

After som extensive trouble shooting I found that JMP can successfully connect to R after downgrading from R 2.11 to R 2.9.

Message was edited by: MS
Jeff_Perkinson

Community Manager

Jun 23, 2011

MS,

If you have not already, please contact JMP Tech Support (support@jmp.com) for assistance with this issue. R 2.11.1 is supported by JMP 9 and does work on the Macintosh.

Jeff
-Jeff
ms

Super User

Jun 23, 2011

Thanks for your reply. Yes I have contacted JMP support, and also provided information about my temporary solution. I probably hear from them soon.

Meanwhile I have played around with JMP-R a little. There's lot of potential here but the interface is still quite shaky. JMP crashes frequently. It seems that some of the crashes can be avoided by inserting Wait() lines in the script. Maybe some problems come from having newer versions of R-packages than the R base application.

For example:
This works
mattf

Community Trekker

Jun 23, 2011

Seems to be unhappy with column 7 price

ms

Super User

Jun 23, 2011

Thanks MattF for finding the weak link. Omitting column 7 works for me to. Strange bug, and quite serious as JMP just quits.

Maybe it's a good idea to insert line like the one below in the code. :-)

I have still not managed to get JMP to connect to R above version 2.9.2. The binary installer of R 2.11.1 Mac OS X automatically creates several versions of R (R32 and R64 as well as PPC versions) with symbolic links pinting to the default version. R 2.9.2 just installs "R". Maybe JMP tries to connect to an incompatible binary. I have tried to redirect the links and rename files in the Framework, but with no luck so far.

I have not tried to build R from source which may offer the option to include only native and 32bit R. But I'd rather avoid that (need to install compilers etc.).
mattf

Community Trekker

Jun 23, 2011

No need to install any compilers on the Mac (All one needs for installing R is already there) Give it a try - it is easier than you think (on a Mac)

-Mac fan
ms

Super User

Jun 23, 2011

I tend to avoid the terminal (probably for the same reason I've been using JMP for more than 15 years and not SAS or R). However, you convinced me to give it a try and I installed R 2.11.1 from source. I had to install XCode and a Fortran compiler first, but then it was quite easy. I choose to install only the 32-bit Intel libraries.

Always fun to learn new stuff, but it did not change anything regarding JMP-R. If I move the 2.9 and leave only the freshly built 2.11.1 framework JMP cannot connect to R. If I put it back it works again.

I have tried this on two different macs and the problems are the same. I give up for the moment and hope I get some tips from JMP-support.

Thanks everybody!
This has been confirmed to be an issue, documented in this JMP Note:
http://www.jmp.com/support/notes/41/246.html