cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
pmroz
Super User

Windows 7 64-bit + Oracle 32-bit ODBC not working

Has anyone gotten JMP 9 or 10 on Windows 7 64-bit to work with a 32-bit Oracle ODBC?  I set up several Oracle ODBC data sources using the 32-bit ODBC driver administrator, found here: C:\Windows\SysWOW64\odbcad32.exe

When I try to access these sources in JMP via File > Database > Open Table > Connect, they don't show up on the Machine Data Source tab.

I have other software that doesn't play nicely with the Oracle 64-bit client, hence I'm working with the 32-bit one.

Thanks!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
tsl
tsl
Level III

Re: Windows 7 64-bit + Oracle 32-bit ODBC not working

You can't do that - the "bit-ness" if I might put it that way must match. A 32 bit application requires a 32bit ODBC driver, a 64bit app requires a 64bit driver. If you can only use 32-bit Oracle ODBC then you need to uninstall JMP, re-install it, and choose the option to install as 32bit instead of the default of 64bit. Of course you'll lose the benefits of 64bit JMP in doing that. I would recommend installing the 64bit ODBC drivers for Oracle, then you can use those with JMP9 64bit on Win7.

Also, it is OK to have both 64bit and 32bit Oracle ODBC drivers on the same system - I have that and it works. Like you I have some applications that need 32bit Oracle drivers ( they are 32 bit apps ), while JMP needs the 64bit one. It's OK to have both drivers on the system

View solution in original post

tsl
tsl
Level III

I haven't found it necessary to do anything with those environment variables. The two programs I mainly use are PL/SQL Developer ( 32bit ) and JMP 9 ( 64 bit ).

For PLSQL Developer, I place a tnsnames.ora file in C:\Oracle11gR2_x32\product\11.2.0\client_1\NETWORK\ADMIN and then just run the program. It finds the database connection information there and allows me connect to the databases. It doesn't use DSN's set up with ODBC Administrator.

For JMP9 64bit, I place the same tnsnames.ora file in C:\Oracle11gR2_x64\product\11.2.0\client_1\NETWORK\ADMIN, then run the default ODBC Administrator, which of course is the 64bit one, and create datasources in there. JMP9 uses these DSN's and connects to the databases.

If I did need DSN's for a 32bit app, then I'd run C:\Windows\SysWOW64\odbcad32.exe and create them there and the 32bit app would see them. I did at one time have a 32bit version of JMP9 installed and this worked

So I don't seem to be relying on ORACLE_HOME or TNS_ADMIN environment variables.

In fact, I just looked on my system and I see that ORACLE_HOME is blank, it has no value, TNS_ADMIN is not present at all, and PATH has values for all the Oracle drivers I have installed, 32bit and 64bit.

Hope that helps

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
tsl
tsl
Level III

You can't do that - the "bit-ness" if I might put it that way must match. A 32 bit application requires a 32bit ODBC driver, a 64bit app requires a 64bit driver. If you can only use 32-bit Oracle ODBC then you need to uninstall JMP, re-install it, and choose the option to install as 32bit instead of the default of 64bit. Of course you'll lose the benefits of 64bit JMP in doing that. I would recommend installing the 64bit ODBC drivers for Oracle, then you can use those with JMP9 64bit on Win7.

Also, it is OK to have both 64bit and 32bit Oracle ODBC drivers on the same system - I have that and it works. Like you I have some applications that need 32bit Oracle drivers ( they are 32 bit apps ), while JMP needs the 64bit one. It's OK to have both drivers on the system

pmroz
Super User

Thanks for your response.  How do you handle setting the PATH, ORACLE_HOME and TNS_ADMIN environment variables?  Do you launch applications with a .bat file that sets these to the appropriate values?

tsl
tsl
Level III

I haven't found it necessary to do anything with those environment variables. The two programs I mainly use are PL/SQL Developer ( 32bit ) and JMP 9 ( 64 bit ).

For PLSQL Developer, I place a tnsnames.ora file in C:\Oracle11gR2_x32\product\11.2.0\client_1\NETWORK\ADMIN and then just run the program. It finds the database connection information there and allows me connect to the databases. It doesn't use DSN's set up with ODBC Administrator.

For JMP9 64bit, I place the same tnsnames.ora file in C:\Oracle11gR2_x64\product\11.2.0\client_1\NETWORK\ADMIN, then run the default ODBC Administrator, which of course is the 64bit one, and create datasources in there. JMP9 uses these DSN's and connects to the databases.

If I did need DSN's for a 32bit app, then I'd run C:\Windows\SysWOW64\odbcad32.exe and create them there and the 32bit app would see them. I did at one time have a 32bit version of JMP9 installed and this worked

So I don't seem to be relying on ORACLE_HOME or TNS_ADMIN environment variables.

In fact, I just looked on my system and I see that ORACLE_HOME is blank, it has no value, TNS_ADMIN is not present at all, and PATH has values for all the Oracle drivers I have installed, 32bit and 64bit.

Hope that helps