cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Momentum
Level II

Why "Transposed Failed"?

I attempted what appears to be an easy operation: Transpose (from the TABLES-->TRANPOSE menu items). I get "Transpose Failed" already in the pre-view pane and when I click OK. No other explanation given and nothing about it when I search help. The help instructions for Transpose do not indicate any table structure or data requirements that I might be violating. 

My version of JMP is 17.2.0

I do not understand what this means "use <JSL> to insert JSL code, @ to link to members and content." means.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SDF1
Super User

Re: Why "Transposed Failed"?

Hi @Momentum ,

Sorry you're having problems with the Transpose functionality. Without knowing exactly what you're trying to transpose, it's hard to pinpoint what is the specific solution to your problem. More context would be needed for your specific case.

There could be a few different reasons why, but as an example, you can open the Big Class.jmp file from Help > Sample Index. Then, if you select the columns :age through :weight and try to transpose that, it won't work. In this case, the reason is because the column :sex is a nominal data type, i.e. text. Since you can't have columns with different data types in them continuous and nominal, JMP won't perform the transform. If you remove :sex from the transpose column list, you'll get the transpose you expected.

As you become more familiar with JMP, you'll hopefully start to use the JMP Scripting Language (JSL) to automate tasks, and when you do, you'll likely reach back out to the community for help when you're stuck scripting. Using the <JSL> to add JSL will format the added JSL code as you would see it in the Scripting Editor, it just helps with reading other people's code when they post it to the community.

The @ symbol is useful for just that: linking to members, e.g. "mentioning" members, or to linking to other content. As soon as you type the @ symbol a popup window allows you to link to members or content as you desire.

Hope this helps, and welcome to the community if you are new!,

DS

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
SDF1
Super User

Hi @Momentum ,

Sorry you're having problems with the Transpose functionality. Without knowing exactly what you're trying to transpose, it's hard to pinpoint what is the specific solution to your problem. More context would be needed for your specific case.

There could be a few different reasons why, but as an example, you can open the Big Class.jmp file from Help > Sample Index. Then, if you select the columns :age through :weight and try to transpose that, it won't work. In this case, the reason is because the column :sex is a nominal data type, i.e. text. Since you can't have columns with different data types in them continuous and nominal, JMP won't perform the transform. If you remove :sex from the transpose column list, you'll get the transpose you expected.

As you become more familiar with JMP, you'll hopefully start to use the JMP Scripting Language (JSL) to automate tasks, and when you do, you'll likely reach back out to the community for help when you're stuck scripting. Using the <JSL> to add JSL will format the added JSL code as you would see it in the Scripting Editor, it just helps with reading other people's code when they post it to the community.

The @ symbol is useful for just that: linking to members, e.g. "mentioning" members, or to linking to other content. As soon as you type the @ symbol a popup window allows you to link to members or content as you desire.

Hope this helps, and welcome to the community if you are new!,

DS

DillonBoyle
Level I

Thank you for answering, it is helpful for me. You made my day, I appreciate you.

View more...
Thank you for answering, it is helpful for me. You made my day, I appreciate you. Business essays used to be my personal nightmare. Complex theories, mountains of data, deadlines looming...ugh. But then I stumbled upon Top Essay Writing's Business Essay https://www.topessaywriting.org/business-essay-writing-service Writing Service, and let me tell you, it was a game-changer! They're like research ninjas and analysis wizards rolled into one. They dig deep, find the best info, and weave it into insightful arguments that even my toughest professor couldn't argue with. No more late nights panicking – just top-notch essays delivered on time. If you're struggling with the business essay beast, trust me, Top Essay Writing has your back.
jthi
Super User

Some explanation might be found from JMP's Help page https://www.jmp.com/support/help/en/17.2/#page/jmp/transpose-rows-and-columns-in-a-data-table.shtml

Note: Columns that you want to transpose must have the same data type. Also, if columns contain value labels, transposing uses the actual data values, not the value labels. (See Value Labels.)

It would be nice that the platform was able to tell you the reason though.

-Jarmo
Craige_Hales
Super User

Note sent to dev team.

Craige
Momentum
Level II

I had read this " Columns that you want to transpose must have the same data type" but had interpreted "want to transpose" as the origin columns not thinking about the resulting columns. Indeed the problem is that my resulting columns would have different data types as explained by @SDF1 . Thanks

Note also that the one (originals) column that had the text data type in my table, is the column that I wanted to use for the new column names. I hadn't realized I should select it to be the "label". I assumed that the first column would become the labels, but alas I was wrong. Thanks all.