Share your ideas for the JMP Scripting Unsession at Discovery Summit by September 17th. We hope to see you there!
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Highlighted
LEP
LEP
Level III

Why is there no power estimate for the last category of categorical variables?

In Evaluate Design > Power Analysis, why is there no power estimate for the last category of categorical variables? For example lets lay you have a categorical variable X with three categories.  The resulting power analysis for an experiment will provide a Power for X 1 and X 2 but not X 3.  Why is that and how can I find out what it is?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Why is there no power estimate for the last category of categorical variables?

JMP uses the effect parameterization for categorical predictors in the linear predictor. That parameterization means for a k-level predictor, only k-1 parameters are estimated. All k parameters must sum to zero, so the first k-1 estimates are free but the last parameter is fixed to be -1 times the sum of the first k-1 parameter estimates.

Since there is not estimate, there is no test. If there is no test, then there is no meaning to power.

Capture.PNG

This simple case with a single categorical factor with 3 levels illustrates your situation and what I explained. Note that JMP also reports the power for the whole term as well as for individual parameters that make up a term. I find this useful because I think in terms of effects, not levels.

Learn it once, use it forever!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted

Re: Why is there no power estimate for the last category of categorical variables?

JMP uses the effect parameterization for categorical predictors in the linear predictor. That parameterization means for a k-level predictor, only k-1 parameters are estimated. All k parameters must sum to zero, so the first k-1 estimates are free but the last parameter is fixed to be -1 times the sum of the first k-1 parameter estimates.

Since there is not estimate, there is no test. If there is no test, then there is no meaning to power.

Capture.PNG

This simple case with a single categorical factor with 3 levels illustrates your situation and what I explained. Note that JMP also reports the power for the whole term as well as for individual parameters that make up a term. I find this useful because I think in terms of effects, not levels.

Learn it once, use it forever!

View solution in original post

Highlighted
LEP
LEP
Level III

Thanks Mark, makes sense.

For future readers, a good explanation of categorical parameterization (effect coding) that puts Mark's answer in context is here: https://www.jmp.com/en_us/statistics-knowledge-portal/what-is-multiple-regression/mlr-with-categoric...

Article Labels

There are no labels assigned to this post.