Subscribe Bookmark RSS Feed

Why is JMP10 so slow (compared to my old v7)?

kofi

Community Trekker

Sep 18, 2013

Just upgraded from my ancient JMP7.0 to JMP10 and thought that I did myself something good. Instead, to my very surprise, v10 turns out to be clunky and extremely (!!!) slow compared to my old version. The same script, on the same machine, with the same input parameters and same data set took me over 8min to complete with JMP10 what the 6 year old JMP7 does in less then 1min (and that was a VERY small test data set. When it comes to the real thing, I'll have to wait for hours with the new version!!)  Did I really trade my old sportscar with a new dump truck??? Or is there anything clever I missed to speed JMP10 up?

5 REPLIES
mpb

Super User

Jun 23, 2011

You may need to up the memory on your computer to get the same level of performance. Beginning with verson 9, JMP uses more memory. I'm using 6gb ram and JMP 10 is pretty snappy but JMP 9 on 1gb ram was as you describe.

Michael

Byron_JMP

Staff

Apr 26, 2012

What does your script do?

What are the specs for your computer? (XP?), 

kofi

Community Trekker

Sep 18, 2013

Windows7 home, 6GB RAM (this should do?!?)

Script loops through a data set (8,000rows) and calculates simple parameters (mean, std dev etc) of samples that honor specific, dependent conditions. The same script runs in JMP7 in 48sec, in JMP10 in 7min 8sec. Since I usually work with data sets with up to 1million entries, I'm a bit worried. This will take me days now instead of hours....

Byron_JMP

Staff

Apr 26, 2012

In your script do you have JMP make lots of subset tables or new windows?

I was running JMP 10 on an older laptop with a core 2 duo process and 6 gigs. I thought it was pretty fast, and I didn't have performance issues. It did have a 64 bit windows opperating system, and depending on the opperation that can have a pretty big impact on performance.

Hi Kofi,

There were a few issues found in JMP 10.0 that contributed to JMP's slow performance.  Most of these issues were addressed in the latest maintenance release of JMP 10, version 10.0.2.  Please download the updater from here and give it a try:

http://www.jmp.com/support/downloads/jmp_software_updates.shtml

Make sure you exit out of JMP first before running the updater.  If you still experience issues, we can address your specific issue if you open up a new track with us via JMP Technical Support.

Cheers,

-Win