Subscribe Bookmark RSS Feed

What makes JMP ask me to Personalize it?

hardner

Community Trekker

Nov 13, 2012

I routinely run a number of JSL scripts as scheduled jobs and lately I'm having an issue that they hang up (get terminated by the Windows scheduler for taking too long).

I also see my JMP putting up a window asking me to personalize it - maybe I don't need DOE or other platforms I rarely use?

I'm not clear whether this is causing my problem - JMP gets opened in the background, produces this window and waits fruitlessly for human input? - or whether getting this window is a symptom - maybe memory gets low and prompts this? Or whether it's completely unrelated.   I don't get this window on my laptop, just recently on the desktop machine I use to run scheduled jobs.  And I can run the scripts OK just manually on that machine...

6 REPLIES
ms

Super User

Jun 23, 2011

I think that JMP is supposed to show that window only at the first session after installing a new version. But I've seen it come back occasionally, which, if I remember correctly, was related to having switched between different version of JMP on the same machine or logging in as a different user.

Make sure the scheduled task opens the "right" version of JMP and that it runs under a user with enough privileges.

hardner

Community Trekker

Nov 13, 2012

Those are interesting suggestions.  Thanks!

Our IT dept. forced us to get rid of older JMP versions when we got JMP12 and that was some months ago.

I also don't think I have a way to log in as a different user and I checked on all my scheduled jobs where it says "When running the task, use the following user account:" that my account looks the same for all.

This also doesn't happen all the time.  It most recently failed sometime on Saturday having run jobs for a couple of days before that (meaning all jobs worked at least once, there's nothing special that only runs on Saturday).  Having rebooted today I was able to run a few high priority jobs successfully and during the day a few more ran on their own just fine.  Still baffled but watching to see when it fails again ..

guillaumebugnon

Community Trekker

Apr 7, 2015

Hi Hardner,

It's maybe due to your jmp.pfs file which contains preferences configuration.

This file is store on your windows profile in C:\Users\[your username]\AppData\Roaming\SAS\JMP\12\JMP.PFS for jmp12. (remark : can be a different hard drive letter)

line Show Personalization must be 0 : Show Personalization at startup( 0 )

My users never told me about this kind of issue. Maybe your profile is reset time to time by an IT routine.

hardner

Community Trekker

Nov 13, 2012

interesting!  I had looked in the preferences window and found nothing about this personalization window but with show preferences() I do see that mine is set to 0 - at the moment.  I'll have to wait and see if the window starts appearing again and then see if this has changed.  Thanks!

laural_

Community Trekker

May 15, 2014

One thing my company's IT department did was to restrict admin privileges for executable programs.  So when you run JMP and want to save the preferences file in the default location AND if JMP.exe doesn't have admin privileges, then you will repeatedly get this error every time preferences are changed.  

Laura
hardner

Community Trekker

Nov 13, 2012

Just an update on this for what it's worth....

It happened again.  I went on to the machine I reserve for doing automated scheduled jobs through windows scheduler and there were 2 JMP sessions visible both with the Personalization window up.  Presumably a couple of my jobs had exposed themselves and were waiting for this Personalization input.

Based on Guillaume's input I checked my preferences - Show Personalization still said 0.

Moreover, I rebooted the machine and manually opened JMP and the Personalization window came up again.  I checked my preferences and Show Personalization was still 0..  I closed and reopened JMP and that did not reappear.  Jobs could run fine and have been doing so once again for several days without this happening.

None of my scripts try to modify preferences and since I rarely use this machine for live analysis I haven't done much with the preferences but I'm updating a few to my favorite ways so I can look into whether that machine is somehow getting preferences reset.  On my laptop I have never experienced my JMP preferences getting reset by our IT.

So, still mystified.