Subscribe Bookmark RSS Feed

What did you learn at Discovery Summit in Cary?

Jeff_Perkinson

Community Manager

Jun 23, 2011

Share what you learned with fellow conference attendees as well as with those who didn't get to attend in Cary.

• Were you inspired to try something new in JMP?
  • Did you pick up a new best practice in exploring or visualizing data?
  • Did you find out about a new statistical technique?
  • What's your favorite new JMP 13 feature?

Got a favorite poster? Or paper? Link to it in the space. (Hint: use an @ symbol and start typing the title to automatically link to it.)

-Jeff
5 REPLIES
pmroz

Super User

Jun 23, 2011

Once again the JMP Discovery conference didn't disappoint.  Met some old friends, made some new ones, and learned a lot.

Yes - get JMP 13 ASAP!

The enhanced multiple response column attribute will be very useful.  We pull a lot of data where we have multiple values stored in a single cell delimited by a unique character.

Association rule mining as presented by Matt Flynn and Mary Loveless.

Programming-wise KDTABLE was blindingly fast for doing "near joins", as presented by Graham Blatz at the JSL Roundtable discussion.

Several: dashboard builder, virtual joins and the new text mining capabilities.

andersonmj2

Community Trekker

May 4, 2015

For me it was about big and small things ... all of which made me think "I want JMP 13 NOW!"

- The 'play' button for scripts in the data table.  Watching people use the 'old method' and doing it myself on my JMP 12 copy felt so antiquated and inefficient.

- Fit Definitive Screening - sure it is just putting something many of us do into a single platform ... but have you ever seen a non-expert's eyes when you try to teach them to analyze a DSD in JMP 12?  haha!

- Compare designs and general improvements to the Simulate utilities.  Really great stuff I could use this week!

- Process Screening ... great functionality presented this week that I really can't wait to put into use!

- Text Explorer ... my biggest concern is how we have reduced the amount of open text comments process/manufacturing because they weren't used widely (often by making the 'comment' a drop-down choice).  The utility here makes me want to see more open test comments!

- Formula Depot, publish formulas, etc ... so much more reusability and interoperability!

- More great GenReg functionality.

There were so many cool papers given by JMP/SAS folks and also by colleagues in industry.  These led to loads of great conversations - reinforcing how great it is to attend these conferences!

Thanks Jeff for being a great host as usual, hope to see you next year (more likely in 2 years, but I can hope!)

mpg

Community Trekker

Oct 5, 2014

The new features of JMP 13 presented by John Sall are very exciting.

• Were you inspired to try something new in JMP?  Yes, among others, the talks by David Sais, Martin Owen, and Scott Wise/Brady Brady will inspire my work.
  • Did you pick up a new best practice in exploring or visualizing data? Looking forward to using  text explorer.
  • Did you find out about a new statistical technique? While not new, I was able to gain a more complete understanding of the DOE platform.
  • What's your favorite new JMP 13 feature? Difficult to say, from what I saw, all of the new features looked like they will help me be more efficient and enable me to derive insights quicker and share the results more effectively.

This was my first Discovery Summit, I highly recommend the conference, if you haven't been.  The chances to see what others are doing and share how I use JMP with others who talk a similar language will yield benefits for some time.  This conference should be on your annual Professional Development schedule.

tpinck27

Community Trekker

Jan 13, 2016

Formula Editor!!! I was still doing a lot of formula work in excel but not more. I've already sent Letting Go of Excel: Hello Formula Editor​ to all my colleagues who didn't get to attend.

txnelson

Super User

Jun 22, 2012

• The New Formula Editor is great.
    • The Control Chart Builder, while it is not new to 13, is now more robust, and ready for prime time
    • The tip/best practice that is most important to me is the analytical speed increases in JMP 13.
    • DSD also, is not new to 13, but the maturing of it and the proper utilization of it which was illustrated in Chris Nachtsheim's Plenary talk is pointing the direction of DOE in the future.
    • The modeling of Wafer Maps, from the paper by Michael Anderson.
    • Text Explorer.  Providing this capability to make sense out of all of the "Comment databases" text data is a tremendous enhancement.

On top of this, actually meeting in person, some of the SAS Community folks who we all interact with through the Discussion Forum.  A great opportunity.

Jim