cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Submit your abstract to the call for content for Discovery Summit Americas by April 23. Selected abstracts will be presented at Discovery Summit, Oct. 21- 24.
Discovery is online this week, April 16 and 18. Join us for these exciting interactive sessions.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
dr-k
Level I

Using "save session script"

Hello,

I'm new to JMP. I can open xlsx or txt files in JMP, color code based on column values and make multiple plots and format them. Now the original file (xlsx or txt) from which I import will be updated daily. I want JMP to reflect this update in the plots each time I open it. Looking at the help file, I thought that if I "save session script", then each time I open that script, it would re-open the file and redo all the activities that I did so as to reach the same formatted plots with new updated data. However, each time I click on "save session script", it generates a 0 KB jsl file. So this file has nothing and does not do what I need when I open it in a new session. Also, when I open a new txt file in JMP, make some changes and then view log - I see nothing in there.

Am I missing something?

Thanks much for your help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Jeff_Perkinson
Community Manager Community Manager

Re: Using "save session script"

I'm sorry for the difficulty here.

I think there's some confusion over what a Session Script is and what it can do.

A session script will attempt to recreate a JMP session as it is at the moment that you save the session script. It does this by examining all open windows and asking them for a script to reproduce them.

JMP does not keep any kind of log or script of everything you do while running JMP. So, if you open a data table, created a subset and save it, and then close the original and save a session script the session script will only know about the subset. When the session script is run it will attempt to open the table from it's saved location. It won't open the original data table and do the subset.

If you need a script to open a data source and do analyses on updated data you'll need to assemble that script yourself.

Start by capturing the Source scripts in data tables and putting them in a script window. You can also save the scripts for any analyses to the script window.

To learn more about JMP scripting I recommend you watch Automating Analysis and Reporting Using JMP Scripts from the Mastering JMP webcast series.

-Jeff

-Jeff

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
gandi2223
Level III

Did you ever find a solution to this? I'm experiencing the same problem.

Jeff_Perkinson
Community Manager Community Manager

I'm sorry for the difficulty here.

I think there's some confusion over what a Session Script is and what it can do.

A session script will attempt to recreate a JMP session as it is at the moment that you save the session script. It does this by examining all open windows and asking them for a script to reproduce them.

JMP does not keep any kind of log or script of everything you do while running JMP. So, if you open a data table, created a subset and save it, and then close the original and save a session script the session script will only know about the subset. When the session script is run it will attempt to open the table from it's saved location. It won't open the original data table and do the subset.

If you need a script to open a data source and do analyses on updated data you'll need to assemble that script yourself.

Start by capturing the Source scripts in data tables and putting them in a script window. You can also save the scripts for any analyses to the script window.

To learn more about JMP scripting I recommend you watch Automating Analysis and Reporting Using JMP Scripts from the Mastering JMP webcast series.

-Jeff

-Jeff
gandi2223
Level III

Jeff - yes, there was some confusion as to what the session script really does! Thanks lots for the clarification.

Steven_Moore
Level VI

Jeff, I have had the same problem.  My mind works like this:  If it says "save session script", then that's what I expect it to do.  Perhaps this function needs to be renamed.  Also, perhaps a real "save session script" could be developed for all reports that exist at the time it is used.  It is tedious to have to save the script for every report that you want to keep.  I often forget to do so after every report is created and then have to go back to each one individually.

Steve