Subscribe Bookmark RSS Feed

Using US map shapes

michelleadams

Community Trekker

May 9, 2013

I'm trying to create a graph of power plant production in the US.  I have the production data, and the lat/long of all the plants, but can't seem to get it to graph correctly in graph builder. I read the help files, and tried using the background maps option, the map shape area of graph builder, even played around with defining map roles in the column properties, and can’t get any of it to work.  Do the lat/long data columns need to be in a specific format?  Thanks!

5 REPLIES
reeza

Community Trekker

Jun 23, 2011

What does your lat long data look like?

michelleadams

Community Trekker

May 9, 2013

six different integer columns for latitude degrees, latitude minutes, latitude seconds, longitude degrees, longitude minutes, longitude seconds.

reeza

Community Trekker

Jun 23, 2011

convert it to two columns I believe but some sample data would help as well.

michelleadams

Community Trekker

May 9, 2013

LATITUDE_DEGREESLATITUDE_MINUTESLATITUDE_SECONDSLONGITUDE_DEGREESLONGITUDE_MINUTESLONGITUDE_SECONDS
luisgaliano

Community Trekker

May 17, 2013

Michelle,

As Reeza said, convert your data to two columns (I use decimal notation, not deg/min/sec, I'm not sure if JMP takes deg/min/sec, but with the columns as you have them delineated you can easily write a formula column to calculate decimal lat/long  ( Dec Degree = degree+Min/60 + sec/3600). Then you can use it in Graph builder with whichever background map/shape you prefer.