cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
jgreif
Level I

Using SAS script to import a .dat file into JMP 10.0

I've been given a large .dat file and an SAS script file to create an SAS data file with appropriate labels, column size, etc.  I can't make the SAS script work in JMP.  Is there a way to convert the SAS script into usable JMP script, or to use SAS on line to create my SAS file?  Thanks for your help.

Jon

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
mpb
mpb
Level VII

Re: Using SAS script to import a .dat file into JMP 10.0

These 2 files may help get you going. It would be easier by far to have the folks who sent you the SAS code run it against your data, but failing that, you can follow the example and manually convert the SAS input stuff into JMP input JSL. The JSL file I attached reads in all of the records in the attached data file (2 of them) and the first few columns, still fewer of which contain script to use Value labeling for the codes. Before you run this against your real data you should probably change the word "All" to some low number like 10 or 20.

Michael

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
jgreif
Level I

Still hoping for some help here!!!  Thanks, Jon.

mpb
mpb
Level VII

What does the .dat file look like? Or perhaps equivalently, what does the SAS code look like?

jgreif
Level I

Thanks very much.  I've attached the SAS script file.  The .dat data file is quite large, and I'm really not at liberty to share, but, it is basically 2.4 million lines which are strings of letters and numbers that represent medical registry data.  Really appreciate your help.

Jon

mpb
mpb
Level VII

These 2 files may help get you going. It would be easier by far to have the folks who sent you the SAS code run it against your data, but failing that, you can follow the example and manually convert the SAS input stuff into JMP input JSL. The JSL file I attached reads in all of the records in the attached data file (2 of them) and the first few columns, still fewer of which contain script to use Value labeling for the codes. Before you run this against your real data you should probably change the word "All" to some low number like 10 or 20.

Michael

jgreif
Level I

Michael. Thank you very much.  You gave me just enough information to complete the script and upload my data file.  I really am very grateful!!!

Jon