Subscribe Bookmark RSS Feed

Use of the Platform Function in JSL

hlrauch

Community Trekker

Sep 19, 2014

This is a general JMP scripting language question. I stumbled on a function called Platform() in the Scripting Index and in the Scripting Index. I continue to look for new/hidden capabilities in JSL, so I was wondering what this Platform function does. When calling a platform such as Bivariate, I would normally script it as:

bivobj = datatable << Bivariate( Y, X );

It appears that this could also be scripted using the Platform function as

bivobj = Platform( datatable, Bivariate( Y, X ) );

Is the Platform function just an equivalent command or does it provide some additional capabilities beyond the traditional way to call platforms/analyses?

Thanks!

Howard

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
danschikore

Staff

Sep 21, 2012

Solution

Hi Howard,

The Platform() function is very similar, with two main differences:

1) The return value is a DisplayBox (the report), not the Platform reference

2) A window will not be created for the report

This can be useful when you want to (a) use a platform but not display it (b) hold references to platforms and arrange them into a display it a later time.

If used within a New Window() call, the results are very nearly the same, just keep in mind that the object reference (bivobj in your case) is not a Bivariate object, but a DisplayBox.

Hope that helps!

-Dan

2 REPLIES
danschikore

Staff

Sep 21, 2012

Solution

Hi Howard,

The Platform() function is very similar, with two main differences:

1) The return value is a DisplayBox (the report), not the Platform reference

2) A window will not be created for the report

This can be useful when you want to (a) use a platform but not display it (b) hold references to platforms and arrange them into a display it a later time.

If used within a New Window() call, the results are very nearly the same, just keep in mind that the object reference (bivobj in your case) is not a Bivariate object, but a DisplayBox.

Hope that helps!

-Dan

hlrauch

Community Trekker

Sep 19, 2014

Thank you, Dan! That was a very informative answer.

Howard