Subscribe Bookmark RSS Feed

Unlocking the power of Graph Builder

XanGregg

Staff

Jun 23, 2011

I have a session at Discovery Summit next month called "Unlocking the power of Graph Builder". I've posted a few slides already, but it will mostly be a live demo. After reviewing the architecture and how the components work together, I'll show how to build a few different graph types, some of which may not be so apparent.

My open-ended question is, are there requests for particular kinds of graphs to show? Or particular kinds of data to show? It could be something that you thought took you too long to figure out or that you still haven't figured out.

Don't make me use Big Class!

9 REPLIES
KarenC

Super User

Feb 10, 2013

Xan,

From your slides it looks like you will cover the "drop" zones which is great.  Please be sure to include where the "order by" zone is and how the "nesting" of factors work (if you drop to the right vs. to the left of a grouping variable).  Demonstrating how to use the various error bars would be helpful (e.g., how to use error bars and still see all of the data points) and the labeling of bar charts (in particular, %'s).

Karen

XanGregg

Staff

Jun 23, 2011

Thanks, Karen. The "order by" drop zone is at the top of the list of (unfortunately) hidden features. I'll be sure to cover many bar chart options and styles, too.

Steven_Moore

Super User

Jun 4, 2014

Would it be possible to have your presentation posted on the JMP site as an on-demand video?  I really like the on-demand videos and I have noticed that the ones already posted are getting pretty old!  Need new ones!

Steve
Jeff_Perkinson

Community Manager

Jun 23, 2011

Hi smoore2,

Great minds think alike.

We'll be recording a number of the presentations from Discovery Summit 2014.

After the conference we'll be posting them.

-Jeff

-Jeff
pmroz

Super User

Jun 23, 2011

Xan,

It would be great if Graph Builder could be extended to create a heat map graph, like the one shown below.  I've programmed it in JSL, but there are elements of it that are a bit slow.  The Heat map shows individual rectangles which are time slices for separate categories.  The Y variable is shown as a color, the x axis is time.  The nice thing about this graph is that it allows you to visualize many groups at once, over time.

In the example below, each rectangle represents a categorical variable, in this case PT Name.  PT stands for Preferred Term, which in the pharma world means a drug side effect.  The color shows a particular value for each PT name over time.

7210_Sample Heatmap.png

By the way, I got the idea for this chart from my first JMP Discovery conference in 2010.  Someone wanted to visualize the performance of 100 stocks over time, all on the same chart, and this is what they came up with!

XanGregg

Staff

Jun 23, 2011

Thanks, Peter. I vaguely remember that. Here's my GB attempt using Group Wrap after stacking and standardizing the columns.

7212_9-5-2014 3-28-57 PM.png

I suppose I could get rid of the group level labels completely by recoding them as whitespace characters.

pmroz

Super User

Jun 23, 2011

Wow that's fantastic!  I didn't think GB could do that.  Can you share the code or steps involved?  I would probably keep the group level labels.

XanGregg

Staff

Jun 23, 2011

1. I started with 12 data tables, each with a year of stock prices.
  2. I Concatenated them, keeping the source table as a new column. Alternately, if you have one table with 12 Y variables, you would Stack them into one column.
  3. I created a row number column, which is within source table. That is, it went from 1 to about 250, 12 times.
  4. I created a standardized price column called "Value".
  5. Then I could create the graph with source table as Group Wrap, row number as X and Value as Color.
  6. Change element type to Heatmap and then change the axis to have an minor increment of 1.
XanGregg

Staff

Jun 23, 2011

My journal file and most of the supporting files are now available in the section of the User Community:

Unlocking the Power of Graph Builder

7311_journalpic.png