cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Ressel
Level VI

Unknown shortcut Script Editor

Just wondering, CTRL + -, what's the use of this shortcut in JSL 15?

Screenshot 2021-04-01 210135.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jschroedl
Staff

Re: Unknown shortcut Script Editor

@Craige_Hales wrote:

@jschroedl@Wendy_Murphrey I'm not sure what the answer is, but from an ASCII TABLE you can see the Unit Separator character was intended to be typed with CTRL-UNDERSCORE. On a US layout keyboard, somehow JMP catches it as the make-font-smaller. Not sure why it types a graphic for the Unit Separator for you.  Maybe Wendy will know.

It looks like the JSL editor cannot receive the Ctrl+_ using an English keyboard merely because of our historical use of the Shift+Ctrl modifiers.  The code specifies Shift+Ctrl+<Add> and Shift+Ctrl+<Subtract> for the zoom in/out commands.  The shortcut handling takes precendence over the editor's processing so the zoom happens instead of Ctrl+_ reaching the editor.

The Norwegian keyboard splits out the underscore so I think you're just fortunate and can type a symbol many others cannot  Sorry, not really a special shortcut.

John

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Craige_Hales
Super User

I use it on windows for the font size.

edit: I'm surprised you are getting a control character for it.

edit: Ah. I think you are using control key + underscore. That might actually be the way to type the control code you are seeing represented by printable "US"

edit: what keyboard localization are you using? My keyboard has underscore and minus on the same key and I have to use control+shift+underscore (not minus) to decrease the font size. The plus key is next to it, and control+shift+plus increases the size. It looks like the FF web browser doesn't care if I press shift or not.

Craige
Ressel
Level VI

I attached a picture of my European (Norwegian) keyboard and marked the keys I use. You were correct that it is actually the underscore I am using. The same shortcut I also tried in Word and notepad, without success. It is therefore I found it interesting to see this shortcut in the Script Editor, where I discovered it by chance. And since I presumed that everything about the Script Editor made sense, I thought this did as well. So, does it actually?

Ressel_0-1617386292839.png

Craige_Hales
Super User

@jschroedl@Wendy_Murphrey I'm not sure what the answer is, but from an ASCII TABLE you can see the Unit Separator character was intended to be typed with CTRL-UNDERSCORE. On a US layout keyboard, somehow JMP catches it as the make-font-smaller. Not sure why it types a graphic for the Unit Separator for you.  Maybe Wendy will know.

Craige
jschroedl
Staff

@Craige_Hales wrote:

It looks like the JSL editor cannot receive the Ctrl+_ using an English keyboard merely because of our historical use of the Shift+Ctrl modifiers.  The code specifies Shift+Ctrl+<Add> and Shift+Ctrl+<Subtract> for the zoom in/out commands.  The shortcut handling takes precendence over the editor's processing so the zoom happens instead of Ctrl+_ reaching the editor.

The Norwegian keyboard splits out the underscore so I think you're just fortunate and can type a symbol many others cannot  Sorry, not really a special shortcut.

John

Ressel
Level VI

Thanks for clarifying!