Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Highlighted
akrishna39
Community Trekker

Unable to replicate design matrix in custom design

Hi,

I am using the custom design functionality of JMP to generate a design. I use the "Set Random Seed" option to set the seed to 1. I use the "Number of Starts" option to set the starts to 100. But I get a different design matrix everytime I click on "Make design". What should I do to get the same design matrix each time I set the random seed to 1 and number of starts to 100?

0 Kudos
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Unable to replicate design matrix in custom design

Apologies for the trouble with this - it turns out this issue shows up if you use a value of 1 for the random seed. Development is aware of it, and hope to address it in a future version. If you use Set Random Seed (123), or something >1, it should work.

Cheers, Ryan

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
cwillden
Super User

That's strange.  That random number seed might only pertain to generating the random starting design in each iteration of the coordinate exchange algorithm, not to the final randomization of the runs.  That would ensure you get the same set of runs, but they are still randomized in a different order.  Not what I would expect though.

-- Cameron Willden
0 Kudos

Click the red triangle next to Custom Design and select the Save Script in Script Window command at the bottom of the menu. Notice the Set Random Seed argument. You can run the script whenever you want the same design. Note that this script is also saved as the DOE Dialog table script when you click Make Table.

Learn it once, use it forever!
cwillden
Super User

@markbailey wrote:

Click the red triangle next to Custom Design and select the Save Script in Script Window command at the bottom of the menu. Notice the Set Random Seed argument. You can run the script whenever you want the same design. Note that this script is also saved as the DOE Dialog table script when you click Make Table.

Hi Mark,

I think that's what the OP describes doing; however, they are not getting the same result each time.  I was able to reproduce the issue on my end in JMP 13.  For example, each of these designs were created from the same DOE Dialog script:DesignRandomSeed.PNG

The script is:

DOE(
	Custom Design,
	{Add Response( Maximize, "Y", ., ., . ),
	Add Factor( Continuous, -1, 1, "X1", 0 ),
	Add Factor( Continuous, -1, 1, "X2", 0 ), Set Random Seed( 1 ),
	Number of Starts( 100 ), Add Term( {1, 0} ), Add Term( {1, 1} ),
	Add Term( {2, 1} ), Add Term( {1, 2} ), Add Term( {1, 1}, {2, 1} ),
	Add Term( {2, 2} ), Set Sample Size( 12 ), Optimality Criterion( 2 ),
	Make Design}
)

You can see the random seed is set to 1, but we are still getting designs with different randomizations each time.

-- Cameron Willden
0 Kudos

I use this feature (save script) all the time but I have never observed this issue. But I never change the random seed to 1 and I never make the data table. I just want reproducibility of the design. Perhaps user should report to JMP Technical Support.

Learn it once, use it forever!
0 Kudos

Apologies for the trouble with this - it turns out this issue shows up if you use a value of 1 for the random seed. Development is aware of it, and hope to address it in a future version. If you use Set Random Seed (123), or something >1, it should work.

Cheers, Ryan

View solution in original post

akrishna39
Community Trekker

This works!! Thanks Ryan!!

0 Kudos