Subscribe Bookmark RSS Feed

Un-Connected Point on Control Chart

pauljames1

Community Trekker

Feb 24, 2015

On a control chart, how can I show an excluded point without having it connected by a line to the non-excluded points?

6 REPLIES
Jeff_Perkinson

Community Manager

Jun 23, 2011

Unfortunately, that's not currently possible.

I'll note the request and we'll consider it for an enhancement in a future release.

-Jeff

-Jeff
pauljames1

Community Trekker

Feb 24, 2015

Jeff,

Thanks for getting back to me. I expected as such. We’ve actually gotten around that with a script that extracts the control limits from column properties, then uses graph builder to plot to Y variables, one with points and a line, the other with just points, with the control limits inserted as reference lines.

Regards,

Paul

ms

Super User

Jun 23, 2011

Another possible workaround could be to use a graphics script to show the excluded points. An example:

dt = Open("$SAMPLE_DATA/Quality Control/Coating.jmp");

// Hide and exclude some rows

dt << select rows([13, 17]) << exclude << hide << clear select();

cc = dt << Control Chart(Sample Size(1), Chart Col(:Weight, Run Chart()), );

//Add markers for the excluded data

r = dt << get excluded rows;

Eval(Eval Expr(Report(cc)[Framebox(1)] << add graphics script(Marker(Expr(r), Expr(:Weight[r])))));

pauljames1

Community Trekker

Feb 24, 2015

Thanks! That was helpful, but two things come to mind … First, is there a way to use as logical expression to select the rows to hide based on values of another column? Second, I’ve discovered I did not completely specify my question (sorry about that)! I also wanted to show the excluded points with a different symbol, so is there a way to add something to the script that changes the marker for those excluded points?

PS., I was going to post this as another reply, but it seems there are “no actions available” on my discussion.

ms

Super User

Jun 23, 2011

Both should be possible. See updated example code below:

dt = Open("$SAMPLE_DATA/Quality Control/Coating.jmp");

// Get axis limits before excluding data

cc = dt << Control Chart(Sample Size(1), Chart Col(:Weight, Run Chart()), invisible);

ymin = Report(cc)[AxisBox(1)] << get min;

ymax = Report(cc)[AxisBox(1)] << get max;

cc << close window();

//Exclude points with |z-score|>2;

dt << select where(Abs(Col Standardize(:Weight)) > 2) << exclude << clear select();

//Make plot and restore axis settings

cc = dt << Control Chart(Sample Size(1), Chart Col(:Weight, Run Chart()));

Report(cc)[AxisBox(1)] << Min(ymin) << Max(ymax);

//Add markers for the excluded data

r = dt << get excluded rows;

Eval(

Eval Expr(

Report(cc)[Framebox(1)] << add graphics script(Marker(Marker State(2), Color State("red"), Expr(r), Expr(:Weight[r])))

)

);

pauljames1

Community Trekker

Feb 24, 2015

Thanks!  Both script code options helped a lot!