Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
10zin
New Contributor

Trying to learn SPC

Hi I bought the SPC JMP companion book and it is absolutely HORRIBLE. Really upset with it because of the lack of explanation/terrible job of explaining. I will be returning it immediately. Are there any other books available?

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4

Re: Trying to learn SPC

Do you have the SPC book by Douglas Montgomery? That book has the explanations. You bought the companion workbook to show you how to perform the analyses in the book with JMP.

Learn it once, use it forever!
10zin
New Contributor

Yes i have that book aswell. I am aware this is a companion to the Douglas Montegomery ISPC book. My issue is with the explanations regarding the JMP program. For instance, running the Box Plot Line Color Black.jsl script without any explanation on how to get apply the script to the control chart. It assumes that the user has run this script before

0 Kudos

Discussions here are about helping people. Your title is 'trying to learn SPC.' Is there something we can help you with towards that end? Also, you mention that you have difficulty with JMP programs or scripts in the book. Can we help with that specific problem?

Learn it once, use it forever!
ZenEos
Community Member

Hi,

We are sorry that you are dissapointed with the book. In page ix we describe the prerequisites for the book:

"Although we provide an overview of each statistical quality tool introduced in this book, we refer the reader to Prof. Montgomery’s Introduction to Statistical Quality Control for detailed discussions on theory and concepts. We also assume a familiarity with the basic functions of JMP, such as importing and manipulating data, navigating around the JMP menus and windows, and using the basic JMP tools."

In terms of the script you are referencing, Step 9, in page 47, describes how to apply the script to the active control chart:

"With the control chart window active, open the script Box Plot Line Color Black.jsl, and run it by pressing CTRL-R (Command-R on a Mac)."

Please do let us know if you need additonal help.